A question on terminology

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
HansSchl

A question on terminology

Post by HansSchl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 am

When I start Ranorex Studio with nothing loaded, I can create a solution. A solution contains test cases, and a test case contains recordings. Where does the term "test suite" fit into this hierarchy? And into which category fall the STARTUP and TEARDOWN items?

Thank you
Hans

Stub

Re: A question on terminology

Post by Stub » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:24 am

A Solution contains Projects. A Project may contain multiple Test Suites. Each Test Suite may contain multiple Test Cases.

Any folder like item in your Test Suite may have Setup and Teardown items - they might be a Smart Folder (for organisation), or a Test Case.

HansSchl

Re: A question on terminology

Post by HansSchl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 am

@Stub, thank you for this explanation. I understand that a solution corresponds with a *.rxsln file, a test suite with a *.rxtst file, and a recording with a *.rxrec file (and each of these items has several more files connected to them). A test case and a smart folder seem not to have any associated files, is that correct? Smart folders can contain smart folders and test cases?

I find it interesting that you can have SETUP and TEARDOWN items at several levels. Are they executed in a stack-like manner, test suite SETUP -> smart folder SETUP -> recording SETUP and recording TEARDOWN -> smart folder TEARDOWN -> test suite TEARDOWN?