Action « Open browser » with browser “Edge” and “EdgeChromium” – Ranorex Studio 9.3

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
YvesL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Action « Open browser » with browser “Edge” and “EdgeChromium” – Ranorex Studio 9.3

Post by YvesL » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi all,

I have the new Edge installed (Edge Chromium-based):
Microsoft Edge Version 80.0.361.66 (64 bits)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe

I use Ranorex Studio 9.3, which supports this browser.

A new value for the “Browser” parameter in the action “Open browser” has been added for this: “EdgeChromium”, while the value “Edge” remains for the legacy version.

Here’s the underlying C# code for both versions of Edge:
Host.Current.OpenBrowser("http://www.ranorex.com", "EdgeChromium", "", false, false, false, false, false, true);
Host.Current.OpenBrowser("http://www.ranorex.com", "Edge", "", false, false, false, false, false, true);

Problem:
- When using “Open browser” with parameter “Edge”, my Edge (Chromium) browser starts. Page content isn’t recognized, just like for the legacy Edge.

- When using “Open browser” with parameter “EdgeChromium”, Ranorex reports an error:

Failed to open URL 'http://www.ranorex.com' with browser EdgeChromium.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

=>

Why is Ranorex starting my Chromium-based Edge when using the value “Edge” and not when using “EdgeChromium” ?

I have no plugin/ad-on installed in Edge.
Google Chrome is not running in the background.

Thanks,
Yves
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Action « Open browser » with browser “Edge” and “EdgeChromium” – Ranorex Studio 9.3

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi,

I personally think that "Edge" parameter is there just for backward compatibility? Basically, if you install Chromium-based Edge on system, old Edge is replaced with new one. So it does not matter, if you start browser with Edge or ChromiumEdge parameter?

As for plugins, Chromium-based Edge definitely needs plugin to be installed! Without plugin, Ranorex will not able to identify page elements. So yes, you must install plugin to new Edge.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

YvesL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Action « Open browser » with browser “Edge” and “EdgeChromium” – Ranorex Studio 9.3

Post by YvesL » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am

Hi,

In the action "OpenBrowser":

When I use the parameter "Edge" = the value that already existed in Ranorex Studio 9.2, it's the Edge (Chromium) browser that is started.

When I use the "EdgeCHromium" parameter = the new value introduced with Ranorex Studio 9.3, the action fails. (see my 1st post for details).

You can check the values to be used by creating a new web project using the wizzard and specifying the brower to be used.

Regarding plugins, there's none available in the Microsoft Edge Addons site:
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/add ... ch/ranorex

Support for the new Edge has been introduced with Ranorex Studio 9.3, but the webinar does not mention any plugin.

Thanks in advance,
Yves

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

Hi,

Please use Ranorex Instrumentation wizard, to instrument Chromium-based Edge. It will redirect you to Chrome store, form which you can install Ranorex plugin to new Edge.

As for opening new Edge with OpenBrowser command, it works for me? So all I can suggest to you is to reinstall Ranorex (completely uninstall and install it back) and eventually reinstall also Edge.

BTW, there is a new 9.3.1 available, with some important bug fixes! So I would suggest to get and install this version.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm

odklizec wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am
BTW, there is a new 9.3.1 available, with some important bug fixes!
Sharp intake of breath. Rushes off to check to see if this is a go-er for me!

YvesL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by YvesL » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm

I'll check 9.3.1 but the release notes don't mention this issue.

In the instrumentation wizard, the option "Microsoft Edge (Chromum-based) is DISABLED ... isn't it strange??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

Post by Vega » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:33 pm

YvesL wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm
I'll check 9.3.1 but the release notes don't mention this issue.

In the instrumentation wizard, the option "Microsoft Edge (Chromum-based) is DISABLED ... isn't it strange??
From my experience any option that is grayed out is because you do not have the corresponding technology installed. I just tested this and saw the following:
  • Uninstall Microsoft Edge (Chromium) - Instrumentation wizard shows the option grayed out
  • Installed Microsoft Edge (Chromium) - Option is now available in the instrumentation wizard
Have you tried restarting your machine after you installed the Chromium Edge? I did not have to restart my machine for the option to become enabled after installing Chromium Edge, but it may be worth a try. Last but not least you could try re-installing Chromium Edge

Hope this helps

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi,

Agree with Vega. If instrumentation wizard has an option disabled, it's simply not available in the system (or installation is corrupted). This is also why the OpenBrowser action with EdgeChromium parameter fails. Please try to reinstall Chromium-based Edge and try instrumentation again. BTW, what OS are you on? And have you installed Edge on the same user account as you are using Ranorex?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

YvesL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by YvesL » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 am

Hi all and thanks for your help.

Installing Ranorex Studio 9.3.1 didn't help to solve the issue.

Rebooting didn't help either.

Edge is installed in the same workstation as Rx Studio, I'm just running the tests locally.

I'm running Windows 10 Entreprise, ver 1709.
Ms Edge Version 80.0.361.69

Edge(Chromium) comes as a package provided though Software Center named "MS Edge for business".

When performing the "Openbrowser" action, the parameter passed is just the name of the executable.
Using Edge or msedge, it works ... indeed those .exe are present.
Using a fake browser name causes the "file not found" error, which is logical.
So the error is specific to the value EdgeChromium.

I contacted Ranorex Support and after a couple of e-mail they suggested:
1) that my installation was corrupted ... but the same happens on anybody's laptop at the office
2) the my Windows 10 version should be updated, from 1709 to 1909, but the upgrade didn't produce any change.

Basically, if I use the wizard to create a new Web testing project in EdgeChromium, I get a blank projet with just setup = openbrowser(EdgeChromium) and teardown = close browser.
The openbrowser action causes an error.

I hope that the Support will find the cause. :idea:

braindon

Post by braindon » Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Surprisingly, it's been a year and Ranorex still hasn't figured this out? Anyways, since I was blocked by this I was able to figure out that if I uninstalled the version of Microsoft Edge installed via Chocolatey on Windows 10 and installed a new version (not through Chocolatey), then it started working. I think I had to select the Windows Server version to get it to download though.