Assign a value to a variable

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
HansSchl

Assign a value to a variable

Post by HansSchl » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:20 am

Is there an action which I can use in a recording that assigns a constant value to a variable? I created a custom action that takes one string parameter and simply returns this parameter, so I can assign it to a variable, but this appears very clumsy to me. If this action type does indeed not exist, please put it on the feature wishlist.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Assign a value to a variable

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 am

Hi,

I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly you are trying to do? Could you please post some screenshots, eventually the code you are using?

As for feature requests, it's best to post them here:
https://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/15 ... ve-ranorex
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

HansSchl

Post by HansSchl » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:03 am

Hi odklizec, thank you for your reply. I am attaching an image that is stitched together of 3 screenshots. It is about finding a table row which contains a cell with content "Reference number".
In recording step 5, I store the value "Reference number" in variable $columName. Forget step 6, this is only experimental.
In step 7, I want to access the repository item "RefNo_Row". As you can see from the screenshot, this item refers to $columnName. This can obviously only work if both $columnName are the same variable - but that is another topic, and I have created another post for that subject.
The user code function AssignValue is a simple one-liner, not a big deal, but I wonder whether there is a more elegant solution for storing a value in a variable. It is the kind of thing you would write as 'columnName="Reference number";' in most programming languages.

If you ask for the use case - I am trying to find the capabilities and limitations of Ranorex so that I can most effectively help our tester who are not programmers.

Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably still missing something, because if the recording/repo variable already exists, you may fill it either from connected data source or via user code. From the screenshot you posted, I don't know from where is filled columnName variable, which you are using as a parameter in step 5. If columnName is already filled by an user code in steps 1-4, eventually from assigned data connector, I don't see a meaningfulness of step 5, because how I see it, columName is already filled?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

HansSchl

Post by HansSchl » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:39 am

Sorry I failed to screenshot that one line... $columnName is assigned from the return value of the AssignValue function in step 5. The string "Reference number" is the function argument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:10 am

Hi,

Thanks, now I understand ;)

Well, I think that the most elegant (and most recommended) solution is to use data connector, instead of hardcoding "Reference Number" string directly in recording. Basically, you should create a data connector, with 'columnName' column, which should be connected to 'columnName' recording/repo variable. Eventually, if you don't want to create a data connector just for one variable, you may use Test Case/Smart Folder parameter. And if you don't want to use data connector, you can still add "Reference Number" string as a default value in columnName definition...
varDefaulVal.png
But in this case, you should expect "unbound variable" warning in report. So I think using data connector is most elegant solution?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

HansSchl

Post by HansSchl » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 am

Thank you for pointing me into the right direction. In my case, using a parameter was the solution. In fact, I split my recording so that the value of the parameter is created in a recording different from where it is used, which makes parameters a natural thing to be involved.