Automation and Validation using Record

Ask general questions here.
CreeTar
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Automation and Validation using Record

Post by CreeTar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Hello Ranorex Team,

If I start to automate the installation of our setup and try to validate the elements by using the "Record" button, the list with steps is a total mess afterwards. Will there be a way to group the recordings to get a structure? Because I tried to create code out of the recordings, but I need to create a function for every single line, which is time consuming and really messes up the structure.
At the moment the only way to bring a overview into the list is using comments, but this is also not the best way, i would love to see Folders here or a Grouping functionality.

Regards,
Alex

slavikf

Re: Automation and Validation using Record

Post by slavikf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm

I agree with CreeTar.

Another way to improve UI is to allow function "Convert to User Code Item" work on selection. Currently it works only on individual entries. Of course, desired behavior is to get function with few steps in it, instead 20 functions with each step, as separate function.

Folders would be great, too.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi,

sorry, it's not possible to do so in current version of Ranorex, but the next release will help you to structure your user code items. We recommend to split the recordings if they are bigger than normal ones. Bigger recordings require more maintance than smaller one. We will provide the user a funtionallity with Ranorex 3.0 to mark steps in a recording and export them to a new one.

In the meantime you can either copy the code of those generated functions together, or directly copy those lines of code from the generated recording code file (e.g. Recording1.cs) and split these lines of code up to methods which fits your idea of structure.
After doing so you have to clean up your recording, otherwise some steps of recoding will be executed twice.

I hope this will help you.

Regards,
Tobias
Support Team

CreeTar
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by CreeTar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Another request would be if the Play / Stop button in the rxrec file would play also code items.
I found it quite useful that it shows all lines that passed in Green and the failed ones in Red.
Unfortunately, when I check Test.rxlog I always need to search for the line first.
Will it be possible in Ranorex 3 to Play the whole recording?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi,

Yes it will be possible to play User Code Items if you play Recording with Ranorex 3.0. With the new Recorder it will be also possible to create an executable of your Recording. But this feature will be only available in Ranorex Standalone Recorder.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team