Automotaion for Xbox

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
zbeedatm

Automotaion for Xbox

Post by zbeedatm » Mon May 23, 2016 11:43 am

Hi,

In my company we want to do automation for playing video content on xbox from applications like: YouTube / Hulu / Netflix.
Need to automate a flow like:
Login to app >> Goto popular section >> pickup a random movie >> play it for several times >> check cache in/out functionality for our application

I start investigating it and found some directions but seems non of them is good enough:

1. Using SmartGlass 360/One - I thought to use this app to control xbox and use Android platform for making automation tests
The problem with it that it give you to control the xbox but the content will still be displayed on the console itself and not in the android application.
The same if working with this app from pc (using BlueStacks)

2. Using Xbox application over windows10 for streaming from xbox to PC - the problem with it that its not possible to control the xbox screen while streaming.

3. Another option can be connecting mouse to xbox device (found some adapters over the net), and once I have mouse click ability to use third part for simulating clicking the screen (like Sikuli which use image recognition or other apps that uses coordinates)

Is it basically doable to control xbox screen from pc by third part or by code directly?
Can your product offer a good solution for it?

Thanks in advance.

krstcs

Re: Automotaion for Xbox

Post by krstcs » Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm

XBox is not built on a desktop or server version of Windows and is NOT supported, currently, by Ranorex. There is no way to install Ranorex on XBox and there is no way Ranorex can be used there.

In the near future, MS is supposed to be moving XBox over to a full version of Windows 10, but even then Ranorex might not support it due to constraints on what can be installed.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Martin

Re: Automotaion for Xbox

Post by Martin » Thu May 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Also regarding different screening applications. The way those (usually) work is that they actually cast the picture and refresh it on change. No object data is casted - so what this means is that you will always recognize the whole picture only.