Best practice to develop a Ranorex project in a team

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
tvu

Best practice to develop a Ranorex project in a team

Post by tvu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi All,

What's the best practice to develop a Ranorex project when working in a team? We use Perforce as our source control and it's not integrated into Ranorex.

We are starting a new Ranorex project to automate our mobile app. Previously, one person would own the project. He/she will develop all the repository items, recordings and test cases. On this new project, we want to work as a team. We are planning on splitting up our test plan and each person will develop their own repository items, recordings and test cases based on their section of the test plan. That means people will be checking in their changes while I am still developing my tests.

Our test suite has two projects in it. The first project holds all the test cases. The second project is a library project that contains all the repo items and recordings.

Here's a sample scenario:

Two people are working on the project. Both of them have pulled the latest changes.

Both people do the following:
  • Develops a new test case
  • Adds several new recordings
  • Adds several new items to the Repository
  • Modifies an existing recording
  • Modifies an existing item in the Repository
Person A checks in their changes.

Now Person B is ready to check in their changes, but before doing so they must merge in the changes from Person A. The new recordings are a no brainers. They are new and don't have conflicts. How about the others?

How do we properly merge all the Ranorex project files? I'm sure there are internal IDs the identify all the test cases and repo items. Will this cause an issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

tvu

Re: Best practice to develop a Ranorex project in a team

Post by tvu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:01 pm

I tried to locally merge in changes that had a few new test cases and new CSVs. It did not contain any new recordings or repo items.

I must have done something wrong because the bindings for the test cases wasn't there. Does anyone know which file contains the binding? Also, specifically which part of that file.

Thanks.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 pm

The bindings are in the Test Suite files (*.rxtst) which are XML files. The bindings themselves are spread throughout the file at each Test Case/Test Module, so there isn't one central location. The data connectors are located in the <datasources> section.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

tvu

Post by tvu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks!

tvu

Post by tvu » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Support, can you break down which files we should put under source control and which files can be safely ignored?

Can we ignore the *.*.pref and *.*.rxuser files?

Thanks.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Yes, you can ignore those. Here is the Ranorex specific portion of my .gitignore file:

Code: Select all

[Rr]eports
*.rxlog
*.rxlog.data
*.jpg
*.rxuser
*.pref
Shortcuts usually aren't...

tvu

Post by tvu » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks krstcs! I'll remove the .rxuser and .pref files from source control.