Can not record actions in nested menus

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jasong

Can not record actions in nested menus

Post by jasong » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:50 pm

I have noticed some consistent (mis)behavior in the recorder related to nested menus in various applications.

While single level menu item controlling works great, what the playback chokes on is the attempt to select a submenu item.

Oddly, the cursor moves up to the topleft of the screen (0,0) and clicks there.

Again, this has been tested in several applications.

A quick test can use mspaint.exe. Under View there is a Zoom submenu header that opens up a submenu. Record a submenu click such as 'Large Size' and attempt to play it back.

Thanks for a great product.

--- edit ---
I opened up an interactive interpreter (Python rocks, btw) and tried selecting menu items by text. A similar problem appeared.

Here is the scenario: Under the far left most menu ('File') there is a 'New' submenu that opens up several other submenu options. The submenu opens up to the right.

However, when executing the method to open up one of these elements (or just the 'New' submenu header) the mouse moves to the right onto View. Then it moves down and selects the first menu item.

Very strange.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 am

As the recorder currently does not record mouse movements if you don't perform any actions (such as mouse clicks), you need to click on every menu item you want to access a sub menu from.

I.e. in the mspaint.exe example you need to click the "View", "Zoom" and then the "Large Size" menu items.

Alex
Support Team

jasong

Post by jasong » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:15 pm

OK, this is working much better. Thanks for the information.