Can update repository/recording code be done on the fly?

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jara

Can update repository/recording code be done on the fly?

Post by jara » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 am

Hi,

I'm using C# to replay the recording created by Ranorex, and I have a common repository for storing all the items which are used across recordings.
Now, if an element in the repository is updated, instead of opening and saving all the recordings, can i use the "UpdateRepository" method of "RecordTable" class to update the repository on the file ? Using the above method is not working for me. Am i missing out anything?

Thanks,
Jayalakshmi,
Cypress Semiconductors.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can update repository be done on the fly?

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but these methods only work on the object representation of the repository, they do not generate code. That's why there is no documentation for these methods, they are only used internally to create repository models, not the code for these models.

At the moment, to generate code you have to open all recordings and save them again. However, I added a feature request to regenerate the code for all recordings/repositories for the next release!

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team

jara

Post by jara » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks peter.

If such a method is provided, it would be of great help, since now it is a pain to every time open and save all the recordings to reflect the latest repository.

Thanks,
Jayalakshmi.

jara

Post by jara » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:41 am

If there is a change in the Rxpath of the recorded item in the latest repository, even after a open and save, the value within <path> tag doesn't change. Is this expected?
Is it only the id of the <info> tag within the <recordeditems> tag ,is the one which matters to access the repository item?

For ex:
<recorditems>
<mouseitem duration="500ms" action="Click" button="Left" movetime="300ms" sx="0" sy="0" loc="Center">
<comment>
</comment>
<info sourcename="ItemRecorderEditor" id="2483e07b-7ea5-490d-a0f6-66198f82ecd5">
<path>
<![CDATA[/form[@controlname='CyInstallerCustomizerTest']/titlebar/button[@accessiblename='Close']]]>
</path>
</info>
</mouseitem>
</recorditems>

here the path doesn't get updated, even though in the repository the path is different. The repository content is:

<item id="2483e07b-7ea5-490d-a0f6-66198f82ecd5" searchtimeout="30s" capname="button" name="ButtonC">
<![CDATA[/form[@controlname='CyInstallerCustomizerTest']/titlebar/button[@accessiblename='Maximize']]]>
</item>

Thanks,
Jayalakshmi

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 am

jara wrote:Is it only the id of the <info> tag within the <recordeditems> tag ,is the one which matters to access the repository item?
Yes, repository items are linked to recording actions using GUIDs. Consequently, even when you change the name or RxPath of a repository item, the item stays linked to the same recording item and uses the updated information for replay.
jara wrote:the value within <path> tag doesn't change. Is this expected?
Yes, this is expected. This path is the original path stored when recording the action. It is needed for some operations when recording actions and repository items are linked and updated. On replay the actual path from the repository item is used.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team