Cannot get Chrome and Edge to work after updating browsers

Ask general questions here.
User avatar
Aracknid
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cannot get Chrome and Edge to work after updating browsers

Post by Aracknid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi,

I'm using Ranorex 9.3.0, and at this point in time I'd prefer to not upgrade if I don't have to.

I was using Chrome v84.x and a version of Edge-Chromium from around the same time (don't have the version handy) and everything was fine.

I updated the browsers to the latest version as of Friday Dec 4, 2020 via their own update, and now I get the technology limitation saying they need to be instrumented (and nothing is detected).

I've tried so may things to get this to work... Rebooting, uninstalling web add-in for each browser, rebooting, re-instrumenting them, making sure background services is not running, etc... and it just will not work any more.

Do I need to do something else, or MUST I up date to Ranorex 9.3.4?

Thanks,

Aracknid.

PS: I update my browsers about once or twice a year and almost every time I have problems like this. I cannot spend the amount of time I spend trying to fix everything on multiple virtual machines. Can't this be fixed by Ranorex via better instrumentation, instructions, or some sort of script that fixes it all? It's very annoying to deal with all the time...

User avatar
Stub
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Cannot get Chrome and Edge to work after updating browsers

Post by Stub » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:46 am

I feel your pain and misery. I detest using Chrome/Edge because of these same issues. I just cannot be bothered wasting hours of my time trying to troubleshoot them. No help I'm afraid, just commiserating.

User avatar
Aracknid
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Cannot get Chrome and Edge to work after updating browsers

Post by Aracknid » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm not sure why, but when I came back to this after the weekend, I gave it another try and it all started working. So I also realized I had made a stupid error on my part, and got it all working on the 2 systems that it was not working on. All the other systems that I didn't even look at were working fine without having to do anything...

Aracknid.