Could not find test suite file

Ask general questions here.
christof

Could not find test suite file

Post by christof » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi.

I currently have a minor problem whereby I am creating some tests in Ranorex Studio on my dev machine and then pushing them to a VM (same setup) using the post-build event command line tool e.g

Code: Select all

copy "$(TargetDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt)"  "\\bert\RanorexStudioProjects\ChemLabel\"
The VM that I am pushing the test to has the Ranorex Runtime installed. However, when I execute the compiled .exe (both release and debug) I get an error that indicates that a test suite file is required.
The error being,

Code: Select all

Unexpected exception occured: Ranorex.RanorexException: Could not find test suite file 'C:\RanorexStudioProjects\ChemLabel\AreasCreation.rxtst'.
at Ranorex.Core.Testing.TestSuiteRunner.GetTestSuiteXml(Type containerType, String fileName)
at Ranorex.Core.Testing.TestSuiteRunner.Run(Type containerType, String cmdLineArgs, String testSuiteXml)
at AreasCreation.Program.Main(String[] args)
I presume I am correct in assuming you should be able to push the .exe to the runtime machine and the test should execute ok? I shouldn't need also to push across the test suite file as well?
Thanks in advance.

christof

Re: Could not find test suite file

Post by christof » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Ok, I've played around with the code for a bit a think I've figured why.

The .exe that constitutes my test references another .exe which has been built in Ranorex Studio to perform general tasks e.g logins, that sort of thing.
If I add another line to the post build event to move the .rxtst file across as well, then all works as planned - if I don't - it doesn't.

So, I'm guessing that the .rxtst (test suite file) is needed is because I am ref'g another .exe from my test .exe right?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Could not find test suite file

Post by Support Team » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:27 pm

The .rxtst file corresponding to an .exe file is needed only if you want to execute test cases or an entire test suite from that project, not if you just reference test modules from the referenced executable.
In other words, the .exe and .dll files only contain the test module definitions (compiled code), whereas the .rxtst files store the definition and structure of test cases.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team