Devices can not be found using a port and a separate WLAN

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
xeronar

Devices can not be found using a port and a separate WLAN

Post by xeronar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 am

Hello everyone,

my problem seems to be a bit special :D but first of all the specs of my test environment:

Ranorex version: 7.1
Device: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Device OS: Android 6.0.1
Rx Service App version: 1.8.9

Ranorex Studio is running on my remote test server (Windows Server 2012) and I want to access the Samsung device via IP and using the port 4444. So my admins created a separate WLAN just for all the test devices, they also affirmed me that they were able to access the device from my test server. However, I'm not able to access the device via Ranorex (creating an endpoint) by just committing the device name and IP address.

1. The device can not be found automatically by Ranorex itself

2. If I'm creating an endpoint manually (device name and IP address), I'm just getting error messages but unfortunately no further information

I've tried commands like

Code: Select all

RemoteServiceLocator.Service.GetByDisplayName("XYZ").Reconnect();

RemoteServiceLocator.Service.GetByDisplayName("XYZ").WaitFor(ChannelState.DeviceConnected);

RemoteServiceLocator.Service.GetByDisplayName("XYZ").WaitFor(ChannelState.Connected);
But it seems like I can't connect the device to Ranorex.

My suggestion is that I have to commit the port as well, but Ranorex is not accepting inputs like 123.456.789.000:4444 when I want to create an endpoint.

Any ideas or workarounds how to solve this problem?

tvu

Re: Devices can not be found using a port and a separate WLAN

Post by tvu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I had this request in with Support and we went through lots of attempts. We were seriously trying this for months. Eventually, I had to go and put everything on the same network. We even tried to do some port forwarding through a router, but it was a no go.

We were able to added a device with a port if the name was known to the local DNS. For example, it worked if we had SamsungS7:4444. But, the network needed to know how to resolve SamsungS7 to a specific IP address. It didn't work if I had 192.168.1.15:4444.

It was a big headache and unfortunately there wasn't a solution that would have kept my automation network isolated from my corporate network. All of our Dev machines were on the corporate network and couldn't have been placed on the private network.

I did have the idea of creating a VPN connection from our corporate network in the private network, but never got around to trying it.

xeronar

Post by xeronar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:26 am

Hi tvu, thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. It seems to be more complicated than I thought so I'm glad for having any information :) I will discuss your conclusions with my Admin Team, but this might take some time now. If i get any new knowledge about this problem, I will post it here.

tvu

Post by tvu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Have you looked at this page:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... tml#c13444

Specifically, the "How to overcome NAT issues" section.