Documentation of testcases in Ranorex

Ask general questions here.
Hermch

Documentation of testcases in Ranorex

Post by Hermch » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to ask how you do the documentation of your Ranorex Studio Testcases?

With creating more and more testcases in Ranorex Studio, in my opinion it is hard to keep an overview about what a single test does. Which Recordings / Codemodules it has and what the modules in particular do...

First I thought about documenting the tests with UML, but this is not very practical for me.

Another thought would be to use the new module group feature of ranorex to have a better overview and document the testcases in Ranorex Studio.
Inside a module group all necessary recordings and codemodules are shown.

How do you do the documentation of your Ranorex Studio testcases and modules?
Is there a recommendation from Ranorex how to document tests?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Documentation of testcases in Ranorex

Post by Support Team » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi,

You can write the description of the test case/module group in the "Description" section of the test suite/module group.
Description.png
Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hermch

Post by Hermch » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

Hi,

thanks, this description field I knew already. But this does not offer very much space for documentation.

For example I would also like to have a simple overview of which external data the testcase uses.
Which modules belong together in order to get the testcase working properly...
The best thing would be to press a button, and an overview document with all related testcase information comes out. :D
My goal is to create a documentation of the Ranorex Studio testcases which can be understood by somebody who did not work with Ranorex yet.

Will there be any more possibilities of creating documentation of Ranorex testcases in Ranorex Studio in future Ranorex releases?

Are there no other experiences with how to do documentation of the Ranorex Studio testcases?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi,

Yes, this is already added to our road map, there will be more possibilities of creating and adding documentations to test cases, modules groups, etc. in a future release.
At the moment this is more or less limited to the available description section.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 am

In a meantime, I would suggest to add a new code module (to each test case), which you can use as some kind of documentary file. Just disable it to prevent it from running. Then use its header for the test case description. It's not ideal solution, but probably better than nothing ;) Hope this helps?

The result may look something like this...
TestCaseDocu1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration