Elements not identified in Ranorex with different browsers

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
mto

Elements not identified in Ranorex with different browsers

Post by mto » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 am

Hello all,

I will explain you the context to understand my needs. In fact, we are developing an application in which we have integrated 4 different engines (Gecko engine used in Firefox, Blink engine used in Chrome, MSHTML used in IE and finally Webkit used in Safari). The same engines used in the native browsers.

For information, we are using Qt API.

So the difficult with these non native browsers, is to identify elements in a web page. For example, i would like to identify a link by "text" on which i will click.
There is the situation now:
- With IE integrated in our application, identification of elements is OK with Ranorex.
- But with the other Engines it's not working.
- With Gecko (Firefox), when i enable "Qt legace automation mode", identification of elements is ok but all my previous testcases failes when are executed.
- With Blink (Chrome) it is impossible to identifiy elements in a page (like a button in a popup, a text like a web link...etc)
- The same issue with Webkit (Safari)

Can you please help me to resolve these issues. It's very important to have my tests stable.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

MTO,

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Elements not identified in Ranorex with different browsers

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:03 am

Hi,

At first, please upload a Ranorex snapshot (not screenshot) for the element(s) in question, taken in each browser you are using. Ideally, the same xpath should work the same in all browsers. The reality is, that each browser interprets things slightly different and there may be required some modifications to make the xpaths working with each browser.

Additionally, I'm not quite sure Ranorex currently supports all embedded web browsers? The problem is, that with exception of IE, each other browser needs installed and loaded Ranorex plugin, which enables identification of elements in each browser. And I believe embedded browsers don't load these plugins? BTW, recently released Ranorex 6.2 added support for Chromium Embedded Framework (with some limitations). Are you using this version?
Last edited by odklizec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mto

Re: Elements not identified in Ranorex with different browsers

Post by mto » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Thank you odklizec for your suggestions.

Ok i will create a snapshot and attach it here.

Concerning the version of Ranorex, i am using 6.1. We will probably upgrade our version to 6.2

Thanx.

MTO