Excel installation not detected in Manage Data Sources

Ask general questions here.
RichD

Excel installation not detected in Manage Data Sources

Post by RichD » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm modifying the location of existing data sources in a Ranorex Solution that was developed by the team. I have a new installation of Ranorex on my development machine for the first time and have pulled the solution in from source control. The data source files are in Excel and were not properly placed. I'm fixing that and the reference to them... or trying to with no success thus far.

I'm changing the file path to the relative path in the solution by picking the file in the file selector dialog. After Ranorex populates the file path text box I'm editing to make the path relative in the files current location. Everything is good at this point. When I click Apply I get the error "Excel is not installed. ExcelDataConnector requires Excel to be installed".

Checking in my machines registry I have it at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\InstallRoot

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Excel installation not detected in Manage Data Sources

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi,

It appears that the Excel installation is somewhat corrupted, so Ranorex cannot find it. In my opinion, the easiest way to fix this problem would be to reinstall Excel. Have you tried to reinstall/fix Excel?

BTW, if you are not using some advanced Excel features in your data connector files, then I would strongly recommend to switch from Excel to CSV. CSV format is independent from Excel, CSV files can be easily compared and CSV files could be edited directly in Ranorex data connector dialog. So there is no need to edit them in an external editor.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration