Firefox plugin not recognized by Ranorex studio?

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Sundaytwins

Firefox plugin not recognized by Ranorex studio?

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

Hi,

I'm working on a web application project using Firefox. Till now, i have been patient with Ranorex and got all my scripts working on FF.

Since yesterday, i need to execute a JS on my page to invoke a functionality.

This is where my problem with FF plugin starts. If i show the application page on IE or Chrome (Iron), there is automatically a DOM that i can address via Ranorex.

If i do the same with FF, no DOM is given/recognized. Although the plugin is installed and working (according to the logs) without problems.

What can be the problem here? and more important: How to solve this?

FF version is 52.5.0 (32-bits) and customised by the company i work for.
I tried the most recent Portable FF (57) with the plugin and this gives the same result: no DOM appears in the Spy.

Help is appreciated.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Firefox plugin not recognized by Ranorex studio?

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 am

Hi,

At first, Ranorex supports only official and "release" versions of the web browsers (no dev and beta versions). So if the FF 52 you are using is somewhat customized, it's hard to say, what could be wrong there?

I'm not quite sure about support of FF portable. I'm using it too, and it seems it works OK for me? But it may not be officially supported! So once again, try Ranorex with official FF version, which is the release version downloaded from Mozilla web.

Additionally, are you sure there is installed (and enabled!) Ranorex plugin in both FF versions? Please check the version number of installed plugin (FF >> Add-ons >> Extensions).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

Hi,

I asked a bit of information on the 'tuned' version. Apparently it's the ESR version and not 'tuned' at that point.
I suppose that ESR version is supported?

The Ranorex FF Plugin is enabled (see screenshot)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

ESR version of FF should be fine. Have you tried to examine the problematic page with standalone Spy? And an important thing, are you running your test/Studio/Spy as Administrator? And finally, please create and upload a Ranorex snapshot of the problematic page. It does not matter there is no DOM available. I guess it shows as "Form" in the Spy tree?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi,

I tried it with the standalone Spy as well. No result
I'm probably not allowed to run any application as admin. (I'll have to check)
I find it strange though that for Chrome or IE this does not pose a problem (admin role not needed in that case)

Snapshot is included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm

You see, each browser is different and FF recently changed their API for 3rd party plugins. So things does not work the same way as before ;)

Looking at the snapshot, Ranorex apparently failed to recognize Ranorex plugin, even though it's visibly installed. I would try running Spy in Admin mode. But I just tried it myself, and Spy works for me, even if started without Admin rights. So the problem is most probably caused by something else?

I see you are using Windows 7. Maybe there is missing/corrupted one of the required libs? Have you tried to reinstall Ranorex?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 pm

I'll keep you posted. I requested a re-install.

That will probably something for the first half of next week. Thanks for your help anyway!
Have a nice weekend! :lol:

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I feel sorry for you. Company restrictions regarding installation of SW are often pretty annoying. And requesting simple re-installation of Ranorex is really silly. Not to mention you, as a Ranorex developer, should have control over the Ranorex installation process.
Last edited by odklizec on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

I agree with Pavel. If you are using Ranorex, then you are a software developer in test. That means that you need to have the same local admin rights on your system that any other software developer would have, otherwise it will be difficult, if not impossible, to do your job well.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

Episode nr. 2 of the saga....

Reinstallation was done today. I took the opportunity to install version 8.0.0 now.

If i look at the instrumentation wizard screen, it does appear to not recognize Firefox (see screenshot)

What i had before is that the spy recognised DOM in IE is apparently disappeared also. No DOM recognition for IE or FF at this moment.
Edit: although the IE screen is not shown. The 'dom' is recognized when i run the scripts with IE.

Help?
Last edited by Sundaytwins on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am

Addition: i manually installed the ranorex plugin (1.0.40) for Firefox now.
I did it by dragging the extension from the Ranorex directory into Firefox. It installed succesfully, but does not make a difference.

Also strange is if i click the Ranorex logo in the toolbar, the Browserconsole opens and shows this: (see attached file)

Ranorex Automation Extension for Chrome? inside FF?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 am

Hi Sundaytwins,

Like the others, I suspect this issue is due to restrictions set on you and your machine. Ranorex often requires full admin privileges in order to properly read objects and attributes within applications. I can confirm on a standard Windows 10 machine, the latest FireFox ESR build 52.5.2 (64 bit) works perfectly with Ranorex 8.0. There are few things we can try to get it working on your machine.

The fact that Firefox is grayed out in the instrumentation wizard leads me to believe the install of Firefox ESR is somehow manipulated by your company's IT team. Nonetheless, we can try to force the Firefox instrumentation by using the instrumentation wizard's console version.
  1. Uninstall any existing Ranorex extensions in Firefox
  2. Close Firefox
  3. Navigate to your Ranorex install directory's bin folder (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 8.0\Bin)
  4. Click in the folders address bar, delete everything, type "cmd", and hit enter
  5. In the new console window, type "Ranorex.Instrumentation.exe -p:firefox -enew", and hit enter
Once complete, you will hopefully see the message below. Open Firefox, ensure the extension is installed and enabled, and see if you get the proper object recognition. If you do not get this message, please post the message you are receiving.

Code: Select all

Success: The Ranorex Firefox extension has been queued for installation. Please make sure that you accept extension installation in Firefox when the browser is opened.
If you continue to experience issues after the extension is installed (manually or through the wizard), check to see if the pipe exists between Ranorex and the Ranorex Firefox extension.
  1. Open Ranorex Spy
  2. Open Firefox to your webpage (or Ranorex.com)
  3. Download pipelist (this is a standalone application, so I hope you can run it)
  4. Extract it to a folder
  5. Click in the folders address bar, delete everything, type "cmd", and hit enter
  6. In the new console window, type "pipelist.exe", and hit enter
  7. Accept the terms and conditions dialog (after reading them of course!)
  8. Verify one of the pipes looks something like this:

Code: Select all

Rx8Ranorex_Firefox_Interface_8412_S1              1               -1
If it does exist, then we know the pipe between the Ranorex FF Extension and Ranorex itself is open and (hopefully) communicating. This pipe is made during installation - so if it does not exist, it is recommended to perform a full reinstall of Ranorex.

If you continue experiencing issues, please contact us via our new support query form where we can dig deeper into this issue.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ned

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:56 am

Good morning all.

Thanks for your answer. I'll try to answer in a structural manner on what you have suggested:

- I removed the ranorex extension from FF
- closed FF
- Restarted FF
- checked that extension was removed (was OK)
- did all your re-installation stuff
- Although CMD-line result was as expected, no extension showed up in FF. (see attached file)
- Reinstalled FF Ranorex extension manually by drag and drop
- Extension was installed correctly
- Did the Pipelist CMD stuff
- I added the result of the pipelist execution, but can't find the pipe of which you are talking. (see added text file with result)

edit: i can't add two attachments, but i can reassure you that the pipelist result did not show the expected line.

I'll make a ticket for your support desk, which will cost me quite some time to get all necessary details to do so.
Last edited by Sundaytwins on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am

Hi,

I can confirm there is something weird about Ranorex 8 FF plugin. I'm experiencing a similar problem like Sundaytwins. I'm using FF portable too (version 57.0.2 (64-bit)) and Ranorex has not been able to find and instrument it. Of course, it's a portable version, so I did not expect Ranorex would find it anyway. However, element recognition does not work even after installing the plugin manually (from Ranorex\Ranorex Firefox Extension folder). Ranorex still complains about missing plugin? And yes, I've tried to uninstall and reinstall Ranorex 8 and yes, it's started in admin mode and no, FF as far as I know, FF is not manipulated in any way in our company. And more, it worked with Ranorex 7.x an even with Ranorex 8 beta!

OS Win 10 Enterprise
Version 1703
Build 15063.726

I'm going to try the pipelist.

EDIT:
The only Ranorex-related thing I found in the pipelist output is this:
RanorexIpcClient_10564 1 -1
I've tried both 32 and 64bit pipelist.

EDIT2:
After another Ranorex reninstall, I got some more lines in pipelist:
Rx8Ranorex_Trident_Interface_1504_S1 2 -1
Rx8CommonControls_Bridge64_S1 1 -1
RanorexIpcClient_16764 1 -1
Rx8CommonControls_Bridge32_S1 2 -1

EDIT3:
Now it does not work even with Ranorex 8 beta1. So I guess it's broken due to a windows update or something?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Sundaytwins

Post by Sundaytwins » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am

Hi,

I got the following in the pipelist:

RanorexIpcClient_6164 1 -1
Rx8CommonControls_Bridge32_S1 1 -1
Rx8Ranorex_Chrome_Interface_S1 2 -1

No other Ranorex related (visible) pipe's in my list.

The fact that Pavlev also has the 'Trident' inside, makes me think that there is also something wrong with the IE extension on my computer.
The 'Trident' is typically used for IE if i'm correct.