GDI Capture Security issue ?

Ask general questions here.
IanKnight

GDI Capture Security issue ?

Post by IanKnight » Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

We have recently upgraded a couple of workstations to use Windows 10, unfortunately when we run a test that requires GDI capture to access some elements of an application the test fails to locate the object.

The same test works on Windows 7 without an issue.

When I run Spy in the local machine we get a Win32 Technology Limitation error displayed saying -

"The automating process does not have the required security permissions to access the process 'ApplicationName'. UI element identification capabilities for controls in that process are limited."

Any ideas how I can resolve this ?

I have tried running both applications as an administrator but the same issue occurs.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanKnight

Re: GDI Capture Security issue ?

Post by IanKnight » Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I have just tried with a Windows 8 machine and although there is no error displayed, the GDI / Raw Text blocks are not found by the Spy tool.

So maybe a slightly different behaviour but the result is the same the Rawtext is not found, which is ultimately what we need for the test to work as it does on Windows 7.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed May 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi,

Just an idea, have you tried to re-add the problematic control to GDI access list? I mean delete previous instance of the element and add it again. Also, is you application in question compiled as 32 or 64 or Any CPU? Have you tried to track the element with both external spy apps (32/64bit). The one integrated in Studio is 32bit, so try also the 64bit one (started in admin mode).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

IanKnight

Post by IanKnight » Wed May 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Yes I had tried removing and re-adding, there is no difference.

I have tried the 64 and 32 bit versions and everything run as administrator and it does not work.

When I use the 64 bit version the message given is different -

"Failed to load the assemblies containing the definition of this control. UI element identification capabilities for this control are limited. Failed assemblies:
C:\Program Files (x86)\System C\Medway\QATESTWK1\Client\Infrastructure.Interface.dll"

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 13, 2016 7:40 am

Hello,

we are currently handling this question via email. We will update the forum thread as soon as we have a solution.

Sincerely,
Robert