How to execute web test when using CI (bamboo)?

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
boris0dev

How to execute web test when using CI (bamboo)?

Post by boris0dev » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

Good morning,
on my journey to a successful integration of Ranorex web tests into bamboo I encountered a new problem: The tests are executed but fail.

To be more precise:
On my designer machine I execute the web tests manually via the Ranorex plugin in Chrome. Works like a charm.
When I execute the web tests via Bamboo the elements on the web page are not found.
I had a look at the report and the report shows black screens:
black screens.png
I read blogs and the documentation and posts about endpoints, headless mode and so on but after all that reading I am even more confused.

Could anybody please point me into the right direction?

Thanks, Boris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: How to execute web test when using CI (bamboo)?

Post by odklizec » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:49 am

Hi,

Are you sure the Bamboo server is not installed as a service? Because this is a big "nono" and most probable reason of your issue! ;)

Please check this paragraph in Ranorex-Bamboo integration guide (Bamboo Server header):
If you are going to use the default build agent running locally on the server, make sure to not start the Bamboo Server as service, but to start the server in a console as you can see in following figure. The reason is that a service does not have sufficient rights to start and access UI applications.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

boris0dev

Re: How to execute web test when using CI (bamboo)?

Post by boris0dev » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks odklizec,
I will check that