IE RAM usage

Ask general questions here.
MB_wiko

IE RAM usage

Post by MB_wiko » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 pm

We have some special problems with the Internet Explorer (IE) 11 with windows 10 and long testing issues. We have many test cases, which we would test during the night. Unfortunately the RAM usage of IE 11 (windows 10) gets higher and higher with each test case. The RAM usage depeneds not an Ranorex, because we get the same issues, when we test without Ranorex. After 30% of our test cases the RAM usage is about 3-4 GB and the IE is very slow, click on buttons doesn't work, ... It seems, that the IE caches each opened form and so the usage is increasing with each test case. And duriegn testing night I can not restart the IE. As solution I created a test case to close and open the IE. That is not the best solution we think. So I tried with IE 64 bit: The plugin of Ranorex didn't support 64 bit IE, so I can not solve this problem with 64 bit IE.

Does anyone has the same problemes and in which way you solved it?

Edge is not supported by Ranorex, this is also no solution.

Thanks in advance.

Speedboat
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: IE RAM usage

Post by Speedboat » Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi MB_wiko

If you investigated the RAM usage without Ranorex, have you deactivated the Ranoex Plugin before?
Surprisingly I remarked that the Plugin itself was responsible for an increasing memory usage on
each page change for some special pages.

1. deactivate plugin
2. reboot machine
good luck!

Speedboat

MB_wiko

Post by MB_wiko » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for your answer: One question: If I deactivate the plugin for Ranorex can not perfom any tests? Is the plugin not the basis for testing with Ranorex? Or do we need the plugin only for Spy?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:49 pm

You are correct, if you disable the plugin, Ranorex will not work.

The reason for the suggestion is to make sure that it is actually a Ranorex issue and not an IE issue.

Another option is to have your test script restart IE after a certain number of tests are run in order to clear the ram.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 am

Hi,

Just a small correction. Ranorex should work with IE even with disabled Ranorex plugin! It will just work significantly slower ;) I believe that Speedboat jut wanted to confirm/exclude the Ranorex plugin to be a source of the increased memory usage problem?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm

I found that it was not able to identify some elements without the plugin running, but I haven't had to mess with it in a long while, so I could be wrong now.

But, yes, the intent is to isolate the issue.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Speedboat
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Speedboat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 pm

As mentioned above 'disabling the plugin' is to verify that Ranorex or the plugin is not the root cause.

This means test manually :x as much as possible and verify the RAM usage.

Good Luck

MB_wiko

Post by MB_wiko » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for your answer: I justed tested on the same installation on a other PC without Ranorex, but same IE version, the RAM usage was OK. I didn't get the RAM usage to limit. Seems to be a problem of Ranorex? In my Ranorex tests I implemented restarts of IE 11. It is not a good solution.

MB_wiko

Post by MB_wiko » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am

second test: I did get the RAM usage on the same installation with PC without Ranorex higher and higher. It is a IE problem. Only close and restart IE solves the problem.