Install and Uninstall a Desktop application using Ranorex

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
pravek

Install and Uninstall a Desktop application using Ranorex

Post by pravek » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Dear All,

I have a question here.

I am trying to automate one of my Desktop application. I want to automate it end-to-end, i.e I should be able to install this application first, launch an application and do some testing and then uninstall it.

Launching an application and testing part is OK, and I am able to do it using Ranorex, however I am not sure whether Ranorex supports the Installation and Uninstall part as well.

Please let me know at the earliest.

Regards,
Pravek

Parapluie

Re: Install and Uninstall a Desktop application using Ranorex

Post by Parapluie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello,
I have the same question as Pravek – Should be able to test the installation process of desktop application? I tried to create a test to complete the entire application installation process but without success. The main problems are:
1) Tracking the dialog boxes that show the installation instructions for the application are added as the same UI elements in the repository. The same applies to the buttons (“Next”, “OK” and “Finish”) that are in these dialog boxes.
2) It is not possible to track and validate the options situated in the combo box button.

Could you help me to resolve these problems?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Hello,

Poor object recognition is usually due to security limitations. Ensure you are running Ranorex with administrative permissions, and Windows UAC is disabled.

If you continue to experience issues, is it possible to provide the problematic installer or a publically available application which we can further investigate this issue? A Ranorex Snapshot of the installer will also help us better understand your environment and issue.

If you wish to not provide this information on this public forum, please email us directly at [email protected]

Cheers,
Ned

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I do this with our application - end to end installation and testing.

Our build system notifies our Ranorex test machine of a new build to test. Our system archives a copy of the installer most recently used so I can fire this up and use Ranorex to automate the UNinstallation of the older version. After that the new build installer is started and I again use Ranorex to complete the installation of the new build. A copy of this installer is again archived locally, replacing the previous archive, so I can easily access it for uninstallation.

We use InstallShield to install our software on a Windows desktop - I've tested this on Win7 and Win10. Ranorex works splendidly with InstallShield. I was able to automate installation upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls, everything I need. I settled on archiving a copy of the installer as that was just convenient and saved me having to go anywhere near the Windows control panel.

I tended to wait on unique bits of text existing to determine when the installation wizard was in the state I expected. I also deal with a few popup prompts here and there too.