iOS app instrumentation fails

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
gab

iOS app instrumentation fails

Post by gab » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 am

Hi there, I am getting the following errors when attempting to use the Ranorex Instrumentation Wizard on our iOS app.
instrumentation error.png
And clicking details reveals this:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.IO.MemoryStream.set_Capacity(Int32 value)
at System.IO.MemoryStream.EnsureCapacity(Int32 value)
at System.IO.MemoryStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.BinaryWriter.Write(Byte[] buffer)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.Instrumentation.MachOReaderWriter.Save(BinaryWriter writer)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.Instrumentation.IosInstrumentation.AddDylibMachOHeader(Byte[] mainBinaryData, String dylibName)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.Instrumentation.IosInstrumentation.StartInstrumentation()
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.IosToolRunner.Instrument(IIosOptions options, Action`2 progressCallback, String& instrumentedIpaPath)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.IosToolRunner.InstrumentInternal(IOptions options, Action`2 progressCallback, Action`1 msgCallback)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.Tools.Ios.IosToolRunner.Instrument(IOptions options, Action`2 progressCallback, Action`1 msgCallback)
at Ranorex.Plugin.Mobile.RxIntegration.Instrumentation.IosWorker.Run()
at Ranorex.Controls.Instrumentation.IosResultPage.bgw_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

I'm unable to pin down the issue;
- I'm using an iPad Mini 2, I've tried instrumenting with it on iOS 11.4.1 and iOS 12.4.4 with the same result.
- The iPad has plenty (46gb) of free storage.
- The IPA file is not a backup from the App Store (it was built with Expo)
- The IPA was not already instrumented with static Ranorex lib.
- The IPA definitely supports the device architecture.

Any help with this would be great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: iOS app instrumentation fails

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:10 am

Hi,

At first, are you using most recent Ranorex 9.2.1? If not, please update Ranorex and try to instrument your app again. If the problem appears also in 9.2.1, I would suggest to contact Ranorex support, via support form available here:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/
This kind of issue is usually not solvable via forum and without examining the problematic app.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration