Is the Chrome Browser terrible for automation purposes?

Ask general questions here.
Aracknid

Is the Chrome Browser terrible for automation purposes?

Post by Aracknid » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering how many people test against IE, FireFox and Chrome, and which browser gives you the most problems? For me, it's Chrome. Specifically I've been having issues with Chrome 36 (more than previous versions) but there has always been weirdness with Chrome.

Some of these problems are just manual issues that I can recreate without automation at all. Some are only through automation. Some are just the way the web controls are represented within Ranorex, such as Select controls.

It's gotten to the point where after It run all my scripts against my app in IE and FF, I try in Chrome and end up wasting too much time trying to figure out why there are so many failures.

Here's a brief list of my problems:

- Sometimes double-clicks are not registered as double, they are single
- Items in select controls are 'invisible' even though they are absolutely visible
- Rarely, I get the popup blocked message even though I allow all popups. This is on logging to my app, which is the exactly the same for all scripts.
- Screen locations are incorrect. For example, in a visual studio watch and Ranorex Spy, the info is correct, but when stepping through the code and getting to the point where I get something, like the height, it is wrong
- Compiled ranorex script EXE crash when running for no apparent reason.

To be clear, I'm not saying that these issues are Ranorex problems. I'm just venting about my frustrations with Chrome in general and wondering if any others experience similar issues.

Aracknid

krstcs

Re: Is the Chrome Browser terrible for automation purposes?

Post by krstcs » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Chrome runs great with Ranorex for me, especially now with the new Web Store version of the extension.

I only have problems with Safari because it is not designed with automation in mind so interacting with the address field and browser menus/buttons requires jumping through a few hoops.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

lmpring

Post by lmpring » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi,

I had a lot of problems with Chrome 36 (unable to find consistently find buttons, timing issues) that weren't issues in Chrome35. Luckily these were resolved with Chrome 37.

I also believe Chrome is generally faster than FF and IE to load URLs and process and I noticed that for Chrome I had to slow my tests down for them to work consistently.

Good luck...

Lisa

vinod

Post by vinod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:33 am

Chrome is very fast in compare to other browsers and the navigation of the browser is very simple. Another thing chrome have the some adones.extensions for different kind of tasks and uses to make work easy and fast. This thing also make chrome better then other....

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello all,

@Aracknid: Which version of Ranorex are you using?
I would also suggest to upgrade Chrome to the latest stable version (Chrome 39) and would also upgrade Ranorex if you don't use the latest version.

Regards,
Bernhard