Is the license used to create tests built into the exe ?

Ask general questions here.
dpplgngr

Is the license used to create tests built into the exe ?

Post by dpplgngr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:16 am

Hello,
I have a question regarding licenses, especially the runtime license.

Imagine the following situation : my company (Company B), belongs to another company (Company A). Company B builds a software which is used by Company A. Company B tests this software using Ranorex Studio and has all the required licenses (floating Premium and Runtime, and its own Ranorex License Server).

Now, imagine Company A decides they also want to execute the same tests Company B executes, as a measure of precaution. Company A asks Company B to provide the .exe file (containing the tests scripts) and all the test data (Excel files and Snapshot files). Company A wants to execute the .exe in their own test environment. For this, Company A would only buy a Runtime license because they will not create nor maintain the tests, just execute them. Company A would also have its own Ranorex License Server, with just one runtime license installed.

My questions are : is that possible ? Would Company A be able to execute the .exe ?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Is the license used to create tests built into the exe ?

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi,

All the company "A" needs is a Runtime license (the number of licenses depends on number of machines they need to run it at the same time). With the Runtime license, they will be able to run the tests, either started via exe or Test Suite Runner. They will not be able to modify the tests with Runtime license. Hope this helps? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dpplgngr

Post by dpplgngr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you odklizec for your answer. That's exactly what I was looking for.

dpplgngr

Post by dpplgngr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am

So, I did a little test :
- Using Ranorex Studio, I built a solution containing a simple test script (let's call it TestScript.exe)
- I uninstalled the license keys and Ranorex License Manager from the server (let's call it LicenseServer1)
- I installed the Ranorex License Manager and the license keys on a new server (let's call it LicenseServer2)
- I ran TestScript.exe

I get an error :

Code: Select all

[2018/01/16 11:30:55.130][Debug  ][Logger]: Console logger starting.
[2018/01/16 11:30:55.161][Error  ][Licensing]: The License Manager 'LicenseServer1' could
 not be contacted. Please check your network connection and make sure the Ranore
x License Manager is running.
[2018/01/16 11:30:55.161][Failure][Licensing]: The License Manager 'LicenseServer1' could
 not be contacted. Please check your network connection and make sure the Ranore
x License Manager is running.
Running the TestScript.exe does not work at all. If I launch Ranorex Studio, I can configure the new license server (LicenseServer2) without a problem. But TestScript.exe is still trying to contact LicenseServer1.

So, my question is :
In the scenario described in my first post, how is company A supposed to execute TestScript.exe ? As I said, Company B will build TestScript.exe using their own license server, and Company A will run TestScript.exe using their own license server. But from my test, I can already say this is not going to work.

I have tried to find references to "LicenseServer1" in the files contained in the "Debug" folder (the folder generated when I built the solution, it contains TestScript.exe) but could not find anything. That tells me the address to the license server might be built into TestScript.exe, which would be a huge problem for Company A and Company B.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello everyone,

This customer has also contacted us via email and we are working on a solution with the customer directly.
If anyone is experiencing a similar issue, then please do check if the content of the file "Ranorex3-Server.lic" in the folder "C:\ProgramData" contains the correct server name on the computer where the tests are supposed to run.

Sincerely,
Tomaž