Is there any way to change default Validate action timeout

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
[email protected]

Is there any way to change default Validate action timeout

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 7:32 am

The default timeout is 60 sec for Validate action and i am not able to find option to change it based on different TCs. Generally it's quite irritating when we Validating if element does not exist.

Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Is there any way to change default Validate action timeout

Post by Fergal » Thu May 14, 2015 9:55 am

If you right click (on the repository item you are validating) and select properties, you can change the Search Timeout there. That will give Ranorex more time to find the item you are validating.

Will that do what you need?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks Fergal,

But this will simply add more time to search that element. In my case i want to reduce it which is default set to 60 sec

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 pm

First, it is NOT recommended to LOWER the timeout from the default of 30s (per element) as this can make your tests fail unexpectedly due to Ranorex not being given enough time to find the element. Also, the timeout is the MAXIMUM time that Ranorex will search for an item. If it finds it before that, it will stop searching.

Second, the timeout used by Ranorex to find an item is called the "Effective Timeout" and is the cumulative timeouts of the element and all of it's parents in the repository tree. In order to change the timeout you would need to change all of the timeouts above as well.

Third, there is a new parameter on all Validate.Exist and Validate.NotExist actions that takes a Duration that will be used as the actual timeout, instead of the element's effective timeout.

Again, it is NOT recommended to lower the timeout unless you are sure Ranorex will ALWAYS have enough time to find the element.

In my opinion, automated tests are NOT about speed, that is only a by-product of the actual purpose, which is consistency. Human testers are not consistent. Automation does the same thing every time. You shouldn't need to watch it, so there should be no concern about the time spent search for things.
Shortcuts usually aren't...