Issues testing hybrid iOS apps

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
nilst

Issues testing hybrid iOS apps

Post by nilst » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:27 am

Hello,

I am evaluating Ranorex studio (version 5.4.0.24580) on Windows 7 to test different hybrid iOS apps. So far everything looks quite good, however, I am experiencing some issues.

First of all I am not able to automatically launch an app. The apps are delivered from external developers, therefore I have no access to the p12 certificates and cannot instrument the apps using the Instrumentation Wizard and the apps are manually instrumented in xCode. The URL scheme for automated launch is added according to the instructions in the user guide. The URL entered is the package name of the app (let's say com.test.app). The Ranorex Services app was installed using the Instrumentation Wizard and the deployed app was started manually once and is registered in the Ranorex Services app. However, in the app list in the service app the "Can't launch" warning is shown and when trying to launch the app from the service app or from studio the following error appears: "Failed to launch app: Cannot launch app with launch URL 'ranorex.com.test.app://#ish'. Please make sure your app under test registers this launc url, to support starting/stopping apps." What do I need to do to be able to launch an app automatically?

The second issue I am experiencing is when simulating touch events on web elements. The touch event is only correctly executed on roughly every second attempt. I was able to work around this issue with injecting JavaScript to the app's web document that triggers the touch event, but I feel like this is not a perfect solution.

And for the last thing: My understanding is, that Ranorex does not support multitouch gestures on iOS apps and custom touch gestures on hybrid web elements, right? I was again able to achieve the latter with JavaScript injection in user code, but would prefer the Ranorex API due to better maintainability. The same goes for custom touch durations on web elements. Are there any plans if and when this features will be added?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues testing hybrid iOS apps

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 am

Hi nilst,

I've seen you were already in contact with one of my colleagues concerning your questions.

Concerning the launch app issue
Unfortunately, it seems that the launch URL is not correct. May I ask you to talk to your developers if there is a misspelling in this URL?

Otherwise, I may ask you to get in touch with us by email. We will analyze the problem directly and update this post as soon as we have found the solution for the problem.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Markus (S)