Java SWT instrumentation failes

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
David Zita

Java SWT instrumentation failes

Post by David Zita » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:49 am

My AUT is Eclipse based application so it is mostly Java SWT. With Ranorex 8.3.1 it worked fine. The studio correctly recognized all the items and so did the testruns on VMs. The test are running on fresh Win10 VM without any Ranorex binary installed, it uses just the Runtime folder provided by the Studio. Now, with Ranorex 9.1.2 the same method does not work. It says:

Code: Select all

[Java SWT]: UI elements in your 'Java SWT'  AUT can't be identified because it couldn't be instrumented automatically. Restart all Ranorex tools and the AUT with the same privileges, preferably as an administrator.
and

Code: Select all

[Win32]: Ranorex and the automated process don't have the same bit width and the 32/64 bit bridge couldn't be started. Object recognition is limited.
(Detailed error message: Bit Bridge process exited unexpectedly.)
To me it seems the problem might be in the Bit Bridge? And could it be the cause of the first warning (Java SWT can't be instrumented ...)? I tried to start the test with administrator right, it had no effect. The AUT is 64bit but again, it worked with Ranorex 8.3.1.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Java SWT instrumentation failes

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:54 am

Hi,

Does the same happens on machine with installed Ranorex Studio? Have you tried it on another machine (with or without Ranorex Studio)?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

David Zita

Post by David Zita » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 am

I tried to install the Ranorex Studio (with all its requirements) and it works now (when running as Administrator). Question is: Can it work without the Studio too? I was happy when Ranorex 8.3 introduced this approach (running the tests with just the Runtime folder), it really made thing easier in our testing environment. So I would like to use the same approach with Ranorex 9.x too.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:10 am

Hi,

Generally speaking, it should work the same with 9.x? My guess is, that there was just missing a pre-requisity for running Ranorex tests with just runtimes? And by installing whole Studio, the pre-requisity was correctly installed. Ranorex studio setup detects is there is something missing at system level (e.g. VC++ libs.) and install missing/required libs before installing Studio itself. I guess that if you now uninstall Studio and use the runtimes-only approach, it will work as expected. Just give it a try ;)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

David Zita

Post by David Zita » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:26 pm

So, it needs MS redist 2017,both x86 and x64. And I realized that for the previous Ranorex 8.3 there was also one MS redist installed, it was 2010 (don't know if 32 or 64 bit...). I am not sure, whether this information is somewhere in the docu, but if not it should be :wink:

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:10 am

Hi David,

I'm glad to hear that installing redistributable package fixed the problem. There actually is such information in Ranorex user guide. Please check this post:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... uirements/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration