Large datasources: Cannot view, autobinding very slow

Bug reports.
jtrachi

Large datasources: Cannot view, autobinding very slow

Post by jtrachi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 am

Hi,

I recently updated from Rx Studio 5.0.2 to 5.2.0 and started having difficulty viewing and working with my largest datasource in Ranorex Studio. The troublesome datasource is a CSV Connector that has around 1000 columns for variables (only 10 rows of iterations). In 5.0.2, I was able to view this datasource in the studio viewer (RightClick a Testcase -> DataSource...) and manage variable bindings, both, after a noticeable but acceptable delay for loading. In 5.2.0, attempting to view the same datasource will produce the viewer window quickly, but an empty pane is where the table would normally be and Refreshing the datasource has no effect. The Preview Effective Data Set button produces a similar empty window, but I note that all the varaibles are present in the Data Binding tab. Ultimately, the datasource appears to still work when the testcase is run, so this isn't unmanageable.

What is disruptive is that AutoBinding new variables to this source will take a very long time to complete. I originally thought the project was hanging, but let alone for long enough and it eventually completes the operation and recovers. Manually assigning the variables takes about the same time, as each variable assigned needs to "think" for a while before it gets applied.

All my significantly smaller datasources behave well.

I attached the toy project that I used to investigate this issue. I experimented a bit with the size of my datasource and found that a connector can be viewed (tested with csv and excel) when it has 600 variables, but will not when it has 700. Autobinding ~20 variables to a ~1000 variable datasource will appear as if hung for about 4 minutes. Autobinding 20 variables to a 600 variable datasource is faster but still uncomfortably long at about 2 minutes on my system.

I'm thinking this counts as a bug. Any advice on how to mitigate the slowdown until it gets addressed?

Operating System: Windows 7 x86 (Service Pack 1)
Computer Specs: Virtual Machine, Dual Core 3.5Ghz, 4Gb RAM.
Ranorex Studio: 5.2.0.20272
MS Office: Office Pro Plus 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Large datasources: Cannot view, autobinding very slow

Post by Support Team » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello jtrachi,

This is a known issue.

Please update to our latest version Ranorex 5.2.1., which contains the bug-fix.

Please report back whether it's working.

Regards,
Robert

jtrachi

Post by jtrachi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I updated to 5.2.1. The issue of not being able to view the datasource is still present in this version, but the binding operations are nearly instantaneous and that is enough to get me working again.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:17 am

Hello jtrachi,

I was able to open your data source. It takes a few seconds, but afterwards the data is shown.
DataConnector.png
DataConnectorLoaded.png
Regards,
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtrachi

Post by jtrachi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am

Hi Robert,

Correct. The N600Columns dataconnector works with the viewer for me too. I included it to contrast with the failure of the second larger "N1000Columns" datasource in the previously attached project.

The N1000Columns datasource still fails to display me in Rx 5.2.1. I never see the "FIlling Data Table..." progress bar in your screenshot when trying to view it. The window just very briefly flashes "Loading" (see screenshot) before returning to all gray.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:55 am

Hi jtrachi,

Thank you for the detailed description.

I was able to reproduce the issue. I will add this issue to our bug tracking system.
We try to fix the bug as soon as possible.

Regards,
Robert