launching Ranorex remotely from SSH, is there a better way?

Ask general questions here.
chris

launching Ranorex remotely from SSH, is there a better way?

Post by chris » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 pm

We are just starting the GUI automation in our organization, but command line based testing has been going well for a few years now. We have a custom system for launching our tests (we SSH into SUT and execute command line utilities) and we were hoping to use that same system for launching GUI tests. The problem we are running into is that when Vista was released, services cannot interact with the GUI any more, and and since our SSH server is running as a service, this affects our plan on systems running Vista or newer. Does anyone out there have better ways to run Ranorex remotely? Thanks.

Ciege

Re: launching Ranorex remotely from SSH, is there a better way?

Post by Ciege » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Look into PSEXEC within the PSTOOLS from Sysinternals.com (Microsoft) .

This will allow you to remotely launch and EXE and instruct it to interact with the desktop.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

chris

Post by chris » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:40 pm

This works fine for windows to windows, but the reason we chose SSH was we have more than just windows to test (although all GUI tests are currently Windows). Thanks for the suggestion.

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Sorry, didn't catch that you needed a solution that was not windows based.

That being said, how are you using Ranorex on non windows based systems? I pretty much live in the Windows world currently and I guess I never realized that Ranorex supported other OS's... Does it?
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 pm

After reading your question a little more closely, have you attempted (on the Vista machine) to disable the UAC and then set the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy registry bit to = 1to allow remote administration of the system?

Ciege...

chris

Post by chris » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 am

Yes, I just tried that and had no luck. Here http://blogs.technet.com/voy/archive/20 ... erver.aspx is where I learned about the problems with vista and beyond. I have not tried ranorex on any non-windows platforms (we just use a linux box to launch both windows and other OS tests), but if it's written in .net it might run on mono. I might try that if I ever get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 am

chris wrote:..., but if it's written in .net it might run on mono.
Ranorex is based on the .NET framework, actually most of the code is written in C#, but there are some parts that need to directly access the Windows API using native code. So, it's very unlikely that you'll manage to let Ranorex run on a Linux based machine using Mono. However, using Mono on a Windows based machine to compile Ranorex code should work; I must admit,though, that I have never tried that :-)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team