'No App Running' message.

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
malachi

'No App Running' message.

Post by malachi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi,

I tried to record a test with Ranorex, I added the device and instrumented my app.
the record worked well until I logged in into my app, than, near the device name i got this message.

what cause this? and how it can be prevented?

Thanks in advance, Malachi.

Mozzytm

Re: 'No App Running' message.

Post by Mozzytm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

connection drop? happened to me a few times

malachi

Post by malachi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

which connection? I'm working with usb cable. and it happens consistently.

Mozzytm

Post by Mozzytm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 pm

ah, apologies, i assumed WIFI

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Hello,

This message should only appear if you stop the app during the test. For example by clicking the home button. Could this be the case?

Regards,
Bernhard

lakiona

Post by lakiona » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:44 am

Hello,

We are experiencing a similar issue and wondered if you have had any success in solving the problem?

We've narrowed down our issue to a peculiar circumstance. Our class inheritance stack is as follows: android.app.activity > (abstract) BaseActivity > BasePageActivity > PageActivity. If the OnResume function is called at all (example below) in the PageActivity, ranorex will disconnect and claim that no app is running when it could previously see the app just fine.

protected override void OnResume()
{
base.OnResume();
}
The OnResume function can be called in any other class (BaseActivity or BasePageActivity) in any combination and the application will not lose connection.

Potential Solution: If we change BasePageActivity to be an abstract class, then having OnResume within the PageActivity will not disconnect the application.

The frameworks we are using are: Android API 16, Ranorex 5.1.2, Xamarin 3.6.253. We've also tried creating an Android application without Xamarin and used the same inheritance stack. Ranorex did not disconnect within the android application.

Thanks,
Layne

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Layne

I looks like Xamarin creates a class hierachy with modifiers which cannot be handled by the RanorexInstrumentationWizard.

OnResume needs to be called so the activity gets registered in the automation lib (and further on displayed as running app).
Please look at the adb log of your device. If you can find something like:

W/dalvikvm(500): L<Method YourNameSpace>/<YourActivity>;.onResume overrides final L<Method YourNameSpace>/<YourActivity>;.onResume
W/dalvikvm(500): failed creating vtable
W/dalvikvm(500): Link of class

the issue is a final onResume in a base class where the instrumentation process tries to add onResume to the derived class.
This issue will be fixed in the upcomming 5.2.0

If this is not the case please provide us your app or a sample illustrating this issue to help us investigate this further.

If you need a solution immediately and you don't have a large number of activities you could try to instrument you Xamarin app manually by using the wrapper under [1] and add it to you xamarin project by following the description under [2]

[1] http://www.ranorex.com/download/mobile/ ... ntation.cs
[2] http://www.ranorex.com/blog/automate-mo ... pp-testing

Regards,
Bernhard