object is found but mouse cannot moveto/click on it

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
c676228

object is found but mouse cannot moveto/click on it

Post by c676228 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 am

Hi,

Anyone ever encounter an issue during data drive testing?
This occurs to me in both firefox(39.0) and IE(10.0)
Ranorex 5.3 and 5.4.
I believe I have mentioned this in several threads.
It occurs to me and I just don't know how to solve it.

During the first iteration, the program runs without any problem. In the second iteration, the object is identified( I can see from the debugging local variable window, that's why you can see why Ranorex doesn't throw an exception for not finding the element). However, the mouse just move to a random place and clicked a placed which is not the specified web element at all.
So you can imagine what will happen next, the test just cannot continue...

what I am trying to ask is if the object is not identified, I can modify xpath and make it more specific. If time is not enough, I can extend the search duration. For now, the behavior is just beyond my understanding.

Thanks,
Betty

krstcs

Re: object is found but mouse cannot moveto/click on it

Post by krstcs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:31 pm

It sounds like the repository cache is out of sync with the actual page. Have you tried disabling folder caching in the repository? Also, are you sure that the path to the intended element is not changing in some way?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

c676228

Post by c676228 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:28 am

krstcs,

It seems that there are many scenarios I need to deal with since I am dealing with multiple browsers.
Disable folder caching doesn't help in this particular case.
I have to increase time for waitforexist, optimize xpath for firefox which Chrome seems has no issue with it.
It seems that you have to slow down the execution steps in order for the program not act erratically.

For now, I have firefox and Chrome behave quite consistently after adjustment. However, IE is different.
It seems it identifies different object which is not even visible( so not clickable at all) even I specify @visible='True' in XPath. I am not sure whether it is Ranorex Object Identification issue or not. I see the specific web element is rendered the same html in IE. However that doesn't help to make sure if the whole structure of html is the exact same as firefox/chrome.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Can you post a Ranorex Snapshot of an example element in all three browsers? That would help us see what you are dealing with.

I didn't have too many problems when switching between browsers, so I'm leaning toward it being an issue with how the site is coded, not with Ranorex identification.

Having said that, we don't use Ranorex for web testing anymore because it doesn't work on Mac (65%+ of our customers use Mac, and I'm not on the web testing team anymore, I automate the tests of our Point-of-Sale systems now), so I don't know the current state of web testing with Ranorex.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

c676228

Post by c676228 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi Krstcs,

We are not allowed to post a snapshot on any discussion forum.

I had a session with Hansel from Ranorex last Thurs. He did see the issue with IE.
He thinks/sees some differences in presenting web UI differently from IE.
The issue is the identified object is some distance off its actual location, which is not clickable at all.
He thinks it either could be handled by extra JQuery or request our web development team to handle it.

So for now we just don't use IE as a major automation browser. In the past I have been experience different kinds of issue with IE. It is hard to deal with it.

Regards,
Betty

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Betty,

I've experienced a problem like this in IE and it turned out to be a problem with too low HTML document version (lower than currently supported 9.0). Please check the discussion here...
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/ranorex-st ... tml#p32915
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

c676228

Post by c676228 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Odklizec,

Thanks for the info. I will check next time I encounter similar issue.

Betty

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks odklizec and krstcs for the help on that.

I just wanted to add that we are aware of the limitation that you cannot do web testing on a Mac and that we will try to provide a solution in future.

Regards,
Markus