Opening Edge Chromium Beta Browser

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
braindon

Opening Edge Chromium Beta Browser

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Hi folks,

This may be a simple question with a simple answer. I recently added an action in Ranorex Studio (9.3.3) for Windows 10 to open Edge Beta, but I don't see a value for that browser? I know I can open Edge, but how do I open Edge beta?

Regards,
Brandon

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Opening Edge Chromium Beta Browser

Post by odklizec » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi,

There is no Edge “beta” specific command. Ranorex supports Chromium-based Edge since version 9.3.0. So it should be possible to open Chromium-based Edge (even Beta) with 9.3.3. Have you tried OpenBrowset with a chromium edge parameter? What exactly is your problem?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

braindon

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Yes, I agree that it should be possible for Ranorex 9.3.3 to automate against Microsoft Edge Beta, if it works for Microsoft Edge Stable, but how do I get it to open Edge BETA? I'm using the Ranorex, "OpenBrowser" functionality, where you pass in the parameter indicating which browser to launch. If I want to target Google Chrome, I pass the CHROME parameter. If I want to target Google Chrome Beta, I pass the CHROMEBETA value. If I want to launch Edge, I pass the EdgeChromium value. What's the value for Edge beta?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi,

EdgeChromium is the only chromium-based edge parameter. As long as the Edge beta is the only Edge browser installed on the system, this parameter should open it as well?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

braindon

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:35 pm

So you're saying I have to uninstall Edge and install only Edge Beta for the EdgeChromium value to target the beta version of Edge?? Why is that the case, when that is not required for Google Chrome? I can target Google Chrome and Google Chrome Beta while they both simultaneously exist on the same system, just by adding "Beta" to the end of "CHROME" to make "CHROMEBETA". It sounds like you're saying Ranorex is incapable of supporting Edge and Edge Beta simultaneously on the same system.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:48 pm

If CHROMEBETA parameter works with OpenBrowser, it’s a undocumented feature 😁 I was not aware of this.

Honestly, I would personally never consider running stable version and beta simultaneously on the same system. If Chrome and Edge supports this, that’s great. But I’m afraid, it’s something for feature request?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

braindon

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:13 pm

I'm not sure why you have a concern over having a stable version of Chromium installed side-by-side a beta version of Chromium? They have separate folders for their binaries and separate folders for their configuration files. In our organization, it's extremely useful to support multiple browsers side-by-side as this is the reality of a typical user's machine. It's not uncommon nor unreasonable for users to have various browsers installed on the same machine. In fact, trying to test them independently will not reflect accurately on the real user experience of having these various browsers installed anyways.

Furthermore, it's not practical nor cost effective to have separate test machines for every type of browser and the machines would not be consistent with each other and there is a higher likelihood that the machine configurations would deviate. It's certainly not practical to be uninstalling and installing browsers every time you want to switch from testing a stable version of a browser and a beta version. We certainly don't have time for that in our organization.

I didn't realize our use of CHROMEBETA was an undocumented feature. I did notice it didn't exist in the list, which is why I tried the value "EdgeChromiumBeta" to no avail. What is the normal way of submitting a feature request for this? Also, have you confirmed that Edge Beta can be targeted by uninstalling the stable version of Microsoft Edge? I don't want to be screwing up our test machines unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, do you know how "OpenBrowser" works to launch the browser behind the scenes? Perhaps it's possible to simulate this functionality in code, if I understand how it works behind scenes. I know it's not as simple as opening the Edge Beta browser, because it appears to launch the browser in some kind of automation mode.

braindon

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 pm

I noticed that our use of CHROMEBETA is our own code. The way we work around this limitation with CHROME is to call the Host.Local.RunApplication method passing in the path to the beta binary. Unfortunately, when I attempt this same workaround with Edge Beta, it's not able to find the elements. I've tried passing the following to the binary:

--enable-automation --remote-debugging-port 8081

Because I'm seeing this error message:

UI elements in your CEF AUT can’t be identified because the remote debugging port isn’t enabled in your AUT or can’t be found. Make sure you’ve enabled it and set it to 8081.
Process: 'msedge' (pid 5848)

braindon

Post by braindon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:14 pm

I ended up changing the parameter to:

--enable-automation --remote-debugging-port=8081

Which removes the notice:

"UI elements in your CEF AUT can’t be identified because the remote debugging port isn’t enabled in your AUT or can’t be found. Make sure you’ve enabled it and set it to 8081.
Process: 'msedge' (pid 5848)"

However, it's still unable to find the root "/dom". I'm looking at various chromium flags I discovered here:

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... -switches/

Any other thoughts?

braindon

Post by braindon » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Nevermind, I figured out their voodoo bs.

Andreas.L

Post by Andreas.L » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 am

Hallo,

i have the same issue. Can you tell me what helped in the end?

Best regards
Andreas

kurdzop

Post by kurdzop » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:40 pm

EdgeChromium is the only chromium-based edge parameter. As long as the Edge beta is the only Edge browser installed on the system, this parameter should open it as well?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:36 am

Hi,

Sure. As long as the Chromium-based Edge is properly installed, the EdgeChromium parameter should open it.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration