play recordings problems

Ask general questions here.
dman

play recordings problems

Post by dman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:04 am

Hi,

I'm evaluating Ranorex as potential automatic testing tool for a Flex web application. As this is not the only tool we took into account I only had time to look into the record-play functionality (i.e. no scripting).

Recording works just fine - actions/elements are properly recognized, verification works fine too. The problems come as I try to play the recordings. The supported browsers for the application are IE and Firefox and the two problems I have are:

1. IE: can't run any recordings whatsoever - it seems like Ranorex Test Run freezes before detecting the first Flex element (to perform an action on) or, if the duration (IE start) is increased - freezes while waiting.

2. Firefox: recordings run just fine right after being recorded (for some number of days) after which behavior from previous point applies.

Must specify that the application under test does not change during all this time.

What am I missing here?

my system:
Win7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
Ranorex Studio v3.0.4.13228
IE 9.0 / Firefox 6.0

All the best!
D.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: play recordings problems

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:44 am

Hi,

Sounds like you have updated to a newer Firefox version.
Please install the newest release of our software, as in this version Mozilla Firefox 6 is supported and Flex automation can be done automatically via Ranorex without the need of to do it manually.
Please disable is the "protected mode" if it is enabled within IE9, as this might slow down automation.

Kind regards,
Tobias
Support Team

dman

Post by dman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for your reply!
True, the latest version (3.1) solved the problems.

As future hint: should I install the latest Ranorex version every time I upgrade to a new IE/Firefox version? Any other situations when a Ranorex upgrade would be recommended?

Btw: you guys might take into account implementing automatic update (or at least notification for newer versions) for Ranorex.

All the best,
D.
Last edited by dman on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi,

you can see if it's necessary to upgrade to a newer version by just checking the release note which come with every new version:
http://www.ranorex.com/download/release-notes.html

Kind regards,
Tobias
Support Team