Poor performance in Chrome since 29th March

Bug reports.
matthewk

Poor performance in Chrome since 29th March

Post by matthewk » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm

I went on annual leave on 29th March - everything was working fine.

Coming back in to the office and my tests are on average 6-8 mins slower now using Chrome than they were previously (12 mins -> 18-20 mins). I can see that there was an update to the Chrome Ranorex plugin on 29th March - is there any way to go back to old plugin?

IE11 is working fine with no decrease in speed

krstcs

Re: Poor performance in Chrome since 29th March

Post by krstcs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Ranorex 8.1.0 was released March 28. If you have not done so, please update to that version and see it that fixes the issue. The Chrome plugin was updated due to the release.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Can you please check the version of your Ranorex Chrome Extension? You can find this by opening the Chrome menu, click on "More Tools" -> "Extensions". Then click on "Details" for the Ranorex Extension. Thank you!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am

Chrome extension plugin is 1.1.2

Currently on Ranorex 8.0 - will look to update to 8.1 and see if that fixes the issue

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Ranorex has now been updated to 8.1 - Chrome plugin is 1.1.2

This has improved the speeds seen on 8.0 with plugin 1.1.2 by about 4 mins but it is still between 3-4 mins slower than it was before the Chrome plugin was updated.

Is there anyway to use an old version of the plugin or to stop it auto updating?

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 am

matthewk wrote:Is there anyway to use an old version of the plugin or to stop it auto updating?
Yes, you can use an old version, e.g. install Ranorex 8.0.1 again and use the extension delivered with that version. You do that by:
  1. Install Ranorex 8.0.1
  2. Opening Chrome menu "More tools" -> "Extensions"
  3. Remove any currently installed Ranorex extensions
  4. Switch the "Developer mode" on
  5. Click on "Load Unpacked", navigate to the Ranorex installation folder and select the "Ranorex Chrome Extension" folder
This is also a way to verify that the old extension worked faster, so please respond back with your findings. Thank you!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:31 am

Trying to follow your advice has broken all my tests.

I have downgraded to 8.0.0 again but Ranorex studio shows an error for all files when opening solution saying that downgrading of files is not possible.

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 am

I have resolved the broken tests by manually changing the Ranorex version used everywhere - took a lot of manual work as many files affected - would be nice if the tools supported this automatically.

Will investigate performance again now we are back on the older version

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am

No joy - using the Plugin version which came with 8.0 (1.0.11) fails to find any elements (via existing tests or inspecting via Spy). The browser does not seem to think it is present as I get the dialog attached when using Spy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

This is probably because Chrome is not instrumented, yet. I may have forgot to add that step:
  1. Install Ranorex 8.0.1
  2. Instrument Chrome using the Ranorex Instrumentation Wizard
  3. Opening Chrome menu "More tools" -> "Extensions"
  4. Remove/Disable any currently installed Ranorex extensions
  5. Switch the "Developer mode" on
  6. Click on "Load Unpacked", navigate to the Ranorex installation folder and select the "Ranorex Chrome Extension" folder
Can you please try that?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

matthewk

Post by matthewk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Figured the last error out - the chrome extension was not in the allowed hosts section for "<Ranorex Installation Folder>\bin\Ranorex.Plugin.ChromeMsgHost.manifest" file for some reason.

With that edited, elements were being found again.

I can confirm that rollback to Ranorex 8.0 & plugin 1.0.11 has not improved the speed.

Which rules out the plugin being an issue - I'm at a bit of a loss now - there have been no changes to our code. Only thing I can think of is maybe a Chrome update itself has caused this - will try and find out when the last update was

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Not sure how your tests are made up, but probably the servers hosting your websites got slower? The response times from the web server typically have a huge effect on the length of a test...
Anyway, thank you very much for your feedback and looking forward to your findings!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team