Position of UI elements are incorrect when highlighted

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Position of UI elements are incorrect when highlighted

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

drtaddei wrote:It is possible this issue is unique to my particular machine but I am at a loss as to why
We are as well not sure where that problem comes from. The elements incorrectly highlighted are identified using the MSAA interface, which is a system interface that should always return correct screen coordinates. Ranorex is basically just forwarding those values.

Do you have any third party software or special display drivers running?
Please try running Windows in Safe-Mode (see here how) and try to track the elements again. Thanks!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

drtaddei

Post by drtaddei » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi Alex, nothing out of the ordinary is running. I also tried disabling anti-virus etc. What is interesting is that the problem is not present in Safe Mode.

The machine has dual graphics capabilities but I have tried using the integrated Intel graphics chip and the NVidia GeForce card but both have the same result.

I also downloaded the Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 and ran the Inspect.exe tool. It correctly identifies all components of Windows Calculator and my target application. I also checked the coordinates given by Ranorex Spy and the Inspect.exe tool for the top left corner of the component bounding box, they are different with Ranorex always being biased towards the top and left.

There was a second issue we observed with Ranorex concerning MenuBar components. 32-bit Ranorex shows nested MenuBar components but 64-bit Ranorex does not. The Inspect.exe tool also confirms there is a single MenuBar instance.

All tests were repeated with Ranorex and Inspect.exe in both architectures.

Thanks!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 pm

drtaddei wrote:What is interesting is that the problem is not present in Safe Mode.
That strengthens my suspicion that some kind of 3rd party software or driver is part of the problem.
drtaddei wrote:All tests were repeated with Ranorex and Inspect.exe in both architectures.
That's weird. Have you set Inspect.exe to use MSAA (drop down in the very top left)?

Regarding the first suggested solution to re-register the system's MSAA DLLs using the following command line:

Code: Select all

Regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dll
Maybe it's just the 32 bit versions not being registered, since only 32-bit processes are affected. Please try to also run the following line in a command window:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleacc.dll
As you see, we are pretty much guessing only. Sorry about that! As I already wrote before, we are actually relying on system APIs to retrieve the screen location for the calculator :(

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

drtaddei

Post by drtaddei » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 am

Hi Alex, I tried regsvr on both the 32-bit and 64-bit oleacc.dll but there is no change.

I used MSAA for the Inspect.exe tests and it works in all cases.

I agree it is likely to be some other process/driver on my system but I am not sure how to even begin tracking that down. I started with a list of services that were not running in safe mode and disabled those services in normal running but this had no effect.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi drtaddei,

It is a little hard to get rid of that issue.
Can you please enable the internal logging in Ranorex and track the element again. Please follow the following link in order to get description how to enable the internal logging.
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/java-linea ... tml#p23463
I hope the log file can help us analyzing the issue.
Thank you.

Regards,
Bernhard