QTP to Ranorex Conversion

Ask general questions here.
lila

QTP to Ranorex Conversion

Post by lila » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:30 am

I know this question has already been asked in the forum but it was way back in 2010.

I would like to know if we have any tool or any medium that could convert QTP scripts to Ranorex compatible script. I have large volumes of QTP script and I am planning to migrate those scripts to Ranorex.

Any help/suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
LiLa

krstcs

Re: QTP to Ranorex Conversion

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I don't know of one, and there isn't one in Ranorex. It is very difficult to convert VBScript to VB.NET. Besides the language issue, Ranorex just works differently in many aspects than QTP, and you will need/want to change how your tests are structure accordingly.

In most cases, even with really large test sets, it isn't worth the trouble to try to get a converter to work. Making a converter that would be able to account for all the issues would be a daunting task and probably more time intensive than just re-writing the tests.

If your QTP tests still work (assuming you still have that license), you can continue using those while you build up the Ranorex tests. It could also be a good time to do some pruning of the test scripts.
Shortcuts usually aren't...