Ranorex 8 / VS / Windows Server 2012 R2 - API crashes.

Ask general questions here.
jensakejohansson

Ranorex 8 / VS / Windows Server 2012 R2 - API crashes.

Post by jensakejohansson » Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi,

I've tried to update from Ranorex 7 to Ranorex 8. I'm using MSTest/Specflow/C#/VS2017 together with the Ranorex API. I have gotten my setup to work on my development machine that is running Windows 10 (following the instructions in our help for visual-studio-integration). However, on the virtualized Windows Server 2012 R2 machine that is performing the testruns I cannot get it to work.

At first I tried to run the deployed build with vstest.console.exe which just exited with out any decent information whatsoever. When I installed VS2017 on the machine and open the solution to debug I realize that the execution stops on the first Ranorex API call that is made, also here without any good information.

Example of call that crashes:

Ranorex.Host.Local.RunApplication(commandString);

The last lines of output in VS debug:

'testhost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: UnitTestAdapter: Running test): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\System.Runtime.Serialization\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'testhost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: UnitTestAdapter: Running test): Loaded 'C:\Temp\TestAutomation-dev\bin\Debug\Ranorex.Plugin.Win32.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'testhost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: UnitTestAdapter: Running test): Loaded 'C:\Temp\TestAutomation-dev\bin\Debug\Ranorex.Libs.WinForms.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
The program '[2084] testhost.exe' has exited with code 42 (0x2a).

I've reinstalled all Visual Studio components as well as Ranorex, but no difference. Spent many hours on this and thought I might ask for suggestions before I go back to Ranorex 7 again.

Best regards,

Jens

jensakejohansson

Re: Ranorex 8 / VS / Windows Server 2012 R2 - API crashes.

Post by jensakejohansson » Thu May 10, 2018 7:47 pm

After trying the example code from Ranorex help (calculator example) I get output in the Command Prompt indicating a licensing problem. Maybe my customer does not have a key on the licensing server that support Ranorex 8. Will have to investigate that... If so, as a developer you don't get any decent feedback about this at all when running test projects from VS/Command line.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Ranorex 8 / VS / Windows Server 2012 R2 - API crashes.

Post by ahoisl » Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Usually, you should get at least a message written to the console when a licensing problem is detected.
However, I can confirm that there is a missing notification if you run two tests locally at the same time and don't have two licenses available. I filed that bug in our system and I'm pretty sure that will be fixed in one of our next releases.

Thank you for reporting this problem!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team