Ranorex Continuous integration Tool

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
amitgupta

Ranorex Continuous integration Tool

Post by amitgupta » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:25 am

Dear Team,

Could you suggest any Continuous integration tool which will run Ranorex script as better way on particular specific time daily ( ' or build project') automatically on remote machine and also does not need to install Ranorex software on remote machine.

I tried with Jenkins but it seems that it is giving error as missing some Ranorex reference files after running the job .

Can we schedule Ranorex job in our machine for executing script on specific time ,if yes ,Could you share any valuable document for configuring setting ?

If we install Ranorex agent on remote machine , then do we need to install Ranorex studio as complete in remote machine . will Ranorex Agent tool support two different domain network .

I didn't see any webinar as detail manner where we can configure Ranorex script with other continuous integration tool as Bamboo/Team city .Could you help me to share any valuable link /webinar where we can successfully integrated with other CI tool.

Thank your for providing precious time in advance .

Thanks
Amit G

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Continuous integration Tool

Post by odklizec » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 pm

Hi,

You can find tutorial all currently supported integrations here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... tegration/

However, you can integrate Ranorex with any CI tool supporting command line execution. In below article, you can find general steps how to integrate Ranorex with "any" CI tool:
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/integrate- ... n-process/

I'm using Jenkins and Azure DevOps and Ranorex works great with both CI tools. It's just a question of proper configuration, which may be tricky with some CI tools.

It's always recommended to install Ranorex Studio on the target machine, just to be sure there are installed all required runtime libs and dependencies. However, if you are sure there are installed all pre-requisities, all you need to do is to instruct Ranorex to copy Ranorex runtimes to output directory (option "Copy runtime to output" in Settings). I personally would strongly recommend to install Studio on the target machine. No matter what, at some point in time, you will definitely need to debug your script directly on the target machine ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

amitgupta

Post by amitgupta » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Thank you for providing quick response .I really appreciate it.

May I know procedure for copying Ranorex runtimes to output directory and also know any procedure to copy all ranorex reference files automatically whenever we build solution in remote machine if that machine doesn't have ranorex studio?

How to User Azure Devops tool for Ranorex CI integration .I am curious to know that.

Can we schedule Ranorex job in our local machine for executing script on specific time ,if yes ,Could you share any valuable document for configuring setting for running job in local machine ?

If we install Ranorex agent on remote machine , then do we need to install Ranorex studio as complete in remote machine . will Ranorex Agent tool support two different domain network .

Thank you
Amit Gupta
C
odklizec wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 pm
Hi,

You can find tutorial all currently supported integrations here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... tegration/

However, you can integrate Ranorex with any CI tool supporting command line execution. In below article, you can find general steps how to integrate Ranorex with "any" CI tool:
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/integrate- ... n-process/

I'm using Jenkins and Azure DevOps and Ranorex works great with both CI tools. It's just a question of proper configuration, which may be tricky with some CI tools.

It's always recommended to install Ranorex Studio on the target machine, just to be sure there are installed all required runtime libs and dependencies. However, if you are sure there are installed all pre-requisities, all you need to do is to instruct Ranorex to copy Ranorex runtimes to output directory (option "Copy runtime to output" in Settings). I personally would strongly recommend to install Studio on the target machine. No matter what, at some point in time, you will definitely need to debug your script directly on the target machine ;)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi,

Azure DevoOps integration is described here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... roduction/

However, I'm personally using yaml-based pipeline, not the classic pipeline, described in the article. The yaml pipeline is somewhat trickier to setup, because you need to learn and understand yaml syntax and commands. And this is not described in the integration guide. Google is your guide ;)

As for automatic copying of Ranorex runtimes to output directory, all I know is, that there is an option in Ranorex Settings. But I believe it only copies runtimes, when the solution is built directly from Studio? If you want to build the solution and execute it via CI tool, you will most probably have to add a step to your CI job, which will copy all required runtimes from source machine to target machine. This article should help:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... execution/
As I mentioned before, it would be much easier to simply install Studio on the target machine, to ensure there are installed all required libs ;)

As for scheduling job on a local machine and executing it on the target machine, well almost anything is possible via command line ;) But I'm afraid, I don't have any example. It may be possible to use a combination of windows task scheduler and batch files, containing MS Build and Ranorex command lines. But honestly, I think using a proper CI solution is much better way.

If you are going to use Ranorex agent execution, then no, you don't have to install whole Studio on the target machine. You just have to install and configure Ranorex agent on the target machine. And as far as I know, both source and target machine must be on the same network. See troubleshooting guide.
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... ex-agents/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jyotidgs

Post by jyotidgs » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Hello,

Did we solve this issue? I am also facing similar issue.

Thanks!

amitgupta

Post by amitgupta » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:06 pm

jyotidgs wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:07 pm
Hello,

Thanks!
no, it did not resolve this issue right now i am getting below error. Any help will be appreciated.[2021/09/30 12:24:26.800][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger starting.
[2021/09/30 12:24:26.833][Failure][TestSuite]: TestSuite XML format is invalid. Failed to load default plugins. Please reinstall Ranorex. Failed to load plugins from assembly 'Ranorex.Plugin.Win32, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b798506b574ebc9a'. Failed to initialize plugin 'win32'. Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.
[2021/09/30 12:24:26.971][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger stopping.
Build step 'Run a Ranorex test suite' changed build result to FAILURE
Recording test results
ERROR: Step ‘Publish JUnit test result report’ failed: No test report files were found. Configuration error?
Finished: FAILURE

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:32 am

Hi,
jyotidgs wrote:
Hello,

Similar is not the same ;) Please elaborate what's your issue.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 am

amitgupta wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:06 pm
jyotidgs wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
no, it did not resolve this issue right now i am getting below error. Any help will be appreciated.[2021/09/30 12:24:26.800][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger starting.
[2021/09/30 12:24:26.833][Failure][TestSuite]: TestSuite XML format is invalid. Failed to load default plugins. Please reinstall Ranorex. Failed to load plugins from assembly 'Ranorex.Plugin.Win32, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b798506b574ebc9a'. Failed to initialize plugin 'win32'. Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.
Recording test results
ERROR: Step ‘Publish JUnit test result report’ failed: No test report files were found. Configuration error?
Problem answered here: ranorex-jenkins-test-execution-error-t20256.html#p67952
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

amitgupta

Post by amitgupta » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:10 pm

Please help me since no luck for getting some good solution to execute only basic script from jenkin (either windows batch command or path of ranorex test suite file )

As learning prospective , we tried to learn/explore continuous integration Process with Ranorex with simple script . but it is not allowing me to execute ranorex project because during execution time, it is throwing error as plugin loading issue occur ,please reinstall Ranorex. My Dummy Ranorex project is building successfully in Jenkins but not executing.

I tried with both method by windows batch command and given Ranorex execution file path but no luck. It is working fine in jenkin target machine by command prompt .

Could you please help me on this if you can . your help is highly appreciated if I get success?

Jenkin Error:- Build succeeded.
0 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:03.20
[SampleAutomationProject] $ cmd /c call C:\Users\ami\AppData\Local\Temp\jenkins1645982903178513299.bat

C:\JenkinTargetMachine\workspace\SampleAutomationProject>C:\JenkinTargetMachine\workspace\SampleAutomationProject\WebApplicationTesting\WebApplicationTesting\WebApplicationTesting\bin\Debug\WebApplicationTesting.exe
[2021/10/08 05:33:54.329][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger starting.
[2021/10/08 05:33:54.371][Failure][TestSuite]: TestSuite XML format is invalid. Failed to load default plugins. Please reinstall Ranorex. Failed to load plugins from assembly 'Ranorex.Plugin.Win32, Version=10.1.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b798506b574ebc9a'. Failed to initialize plugin 'win32'. Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.
[2021/10/08 05:33:54.418][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger stopping.

C:\JenkinTargetMachine\workspace\SampleAutomationProject>exit -1
Build step 'Execute Windows batch command' marked build as failure

Some time it is giving error on target machine when I run project first time but command prompt but it is working fine with second run time .

odklizec wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 am
amitgupta wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:06 pm
jyotidgs wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Recording test results
Problem answered here: ranorex-jenkins-test-execution-error-t20256.html#p67952
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.