RDP Troubleshooting

Ask general questions here.
RanoTRex

RDP Troubleshooting

Post by RanoTRex » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:44 am

Hello everybody.

I'm facing a problem regarding the remote connection to my test PC when it comes to long term tests.
I have the following setup:
-Laptop at home which is connected via RDP to my test PC at work.

After some time the tests always fail, because the test PC logs out. The result is a black screenshot just before the test fails.
I already tried to keep the session alive after closing the remote connection using the described solutions in the Remote Troubleshooting and FAQ.
It works to keep the session alive, but doesn't solve the problem.
Of course I have also tried to turn off every sleep or display shutdown option.

I also tried ranorex agent, remote comman line execution and manual command line execution but always got the same result.

Any Ideas how I can solve this problem and do long term tests via a RDP connection?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: RDP Troubleshooting

Post by odklizec » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am

Hi,

It seems that there is a (company) policy on target PC, which always locks the desktop after some time, no matter what? Basically, there are two options. You can ask your IT department to turn this (or similar) policy off. Eventually, you will have to use SW like LogonExpert, which keeps the machine logged in, no matter what logout policy is in place ;) We are using this tool on our test VMs.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

RanoTRex

Post by RanoTRex » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:38 am

odklizec wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am
Hi,

It seems that there is a (company) policy on target PC, which always locks the desktop after some time, no matter what? Basically, there are two options. You can ask your IT department to turn this (or similar) policy off. Eventually, you will have to use SW like LogonExpert, which keeps the machine logged in, no matter what logout policy is in place ;) We are using this tool on our test VMs.
Hm that's actually not what Im looking for. Sure I can manipulate the auto logout with a batch file or a program like LogonExpert. I hoped for "safe" a solution maybe even provided by Ranorex because I guess this is a common problem especially when it comes to continuous integration for example on buildservers.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:57 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, there is no built-in solution for this in Ranorex. It's either disabling company policy or using 3rd party solution to keep the machine logged in and then log it out at the end of test.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration