Remote Agent - unable to find agent

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
AdamG

Remote Agent - unable to find agent

Post by AdamG » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Remote Agent. I’ve got a simple set-up:

 Machine-1: where Ranorex Studio is located; I want to find the Agent on / connect to Machine-2 from here
 Machine-2: a physical Windows unit. Remote Agent has been installed
 Both machines are on the same network and can ping each other

The problem is that Machine-1 cannot locate the Agent on Machine-2, via View --> Remote, neither Automatically nor manually.

I think the problem might be caused by McAfee antivirus, as it uses port 8081. I have edited the Agent’s port to 8083, opened that port in the Windows Firewall but still can’t find the Agent. I wonder if Ranorex only scans for Agents on port 8081?

When I start the Agent on Machine-2 normally, set-up to 8081 (as by default), it says in red letters ‘Port is already in use. A different port can be set in the settings file. If you do so, Agent needs to be added manually in Ranorex Studio”. Which is what I’m doing, but adding the Agent manually doesn’t work either.

How to set up the Agent on a different port than 8081?

Jacob
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Remote Agent - unable to find agent

Post by Jacob » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi AdamG,

According to the troubleshooting steps in the User Guide, we can take the following steps:
  • Make sure the machine Ranorex Studio is running on is in the same network (subnet) as the remote machine the Agent is running on.
  • Make sure the Agent is running in an active user session. Do not log off the user from the machine the Agent is running on.
  • Ensure TCP port 8081 and UDP ports 10000-10001 are open on the remote machine.
  • Check the Windows Event Log on the machine the Agent is running on for entries related to the Agent.
Based on this, I would assume that only port 8081 and UDP ports 10000 - 10001 are used by the application.

--Jacob

AdamG

Post by AdamG » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi Jacob,

Fortunately, there is a way to connect on a different port!

As described in this forum post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14328&p=55523#p55528

When adding an Agent manually, provide the IP, followed by :[PORT]

I've just tried it and it's worked.

Jacob
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Jacob » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:08 pm

That's awesome news! Good find, AdamG!