Reports

Ask general questions here.
Mirage

Reports

Post by Mirage » Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Ranorex Reports are nice to look at, but I experienced some issues using them.

1. There should be a way of separating the tests in the report. For instance, I created a test runner based on reflection, which automatically adds some info about each test method using Report.Info(). It would be nice to have a way of separating tests visually. That's important if you have a large number of tests.

2. There is no way to jump from the report into the code based on the file and line number (added when an exception occurs). The exception stack trace is very hard to read in the report. I created a workaround for this - in try/catch, I use Trace to report the exception, and then you can jump from the Output window into the source code if you have a debugger attached.

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue May 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Are you using the report viewer or just a web browser to view your reports.

You do know that the reports are just an XML file and Ranorex has provided an XSL stylesheet for us to use. With some moderate XSL programming you can create a report that displays anything you want formatted however you would like.

It is on my to do list to create a new XSL designed for use here at my company that is more tailored to look the way I want it to look. To this end what I would like to see is an expansion to the Report. method to allow us to add our own log levels. We have Report.Warn, .Success, .Failure, etc... I would like a Report.UserDefined("DefinedValue") so that I can create my own entries in the log and key off them differently.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

We're planning to improve the Reports with additional functionalities like filtering and grouping of categories. The idea is to set default filter/group settings via the code.
I would like a Report.UserDefined("DefinedValue") so that I can create my own entries in the log and key off them differently.
You can create log entries with your own category as follows:

Code: Select all

Report.Log(ReportLevel.Info, "YourCategory", "Your message");
Kind regards,
Gabor
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Support Team wrote:You can create log entries with your own category as follows:

Code: Select all

Report.Log(ReportLevel.Info, "YourCategory", "Your message");
Excellent, thanks for that bit of information. It hasn't been high enough on my priority list to check for this yet, but I'm glad to know that it is already present.