Request for new minor version installer change

Ask general questions here.
Ciege

Request for new minor version installer change

Post by Ciege » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

When new minor versions of Ranorex come out (2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc...) can you please have the installer set to install (by default) into a folder with the same major version? Right now, with 2.3 the Ranorex 2.2 directory was removed and the new 2.3 directory was created.
Sometimes, unintentionally, new Ranorex projects created may be set with the Ranorex references to Specific Version = True. When this happens on project that I move to a Ranorex Runtime machine with the new installation the test will fail (obviously) since it cannot find the references at the path set.
This means I have to go back to my developer machine and recompile the project with Specific version = False then back to the runtime machine and launch the tests again.

Granted, I should be more diligent when setting up a new project but it does slip by sometimes and just causes issues that shouldn't need to happen if the Ranorex installer was set to install in the current directory by default.

Thanks for listening!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Request for new minor version installer change

Post by Support Team » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 pm

IMHO the installation path will not make a difference. If you create a reference to a DLL with "Specific version = true" and you don't have the exact same version available/installed when you compile the DLL, the compiler will issue an error. BTW, you don't need to reference the DLLs in the Ranorex installation folder, you can also reference the DLLs in the GAC.

Anyway, I agree that having the minor version in the default Ranorex installation folder name is pretty much useless, since we do not support having multiple different minor versions installed at the same time. I'll add a bug entry for that, however, due to backwards compatibility we will only be able to alter the default behavior for the next major release (V3.0)!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Re: Request for new minor version installer change

Post by Ciege » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 pm

OK, thanks for the information. I'll have to look in a little further to the compilation issue I am having then. What I noticed was when I compiled on my developer box then ran on the runtime box I would get an error. I guess I parsed it too quickly and need to re-visit the original issue.
Although it isn't a serious issue at all since updates do not happen on a daily basis.

Thanks!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...