Running from command line via SSH - locked desktop problem

Ask general questions here.
dmusil

Running from command line via SSH - locked desktop problem

Post by dmusil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Hello,

We are going to use Ranorex on the project and I want to finish technical proof of concept.
We plan following configuration:
  • We are running TeamCity (building engine) on Linux and therefore we decide to use SSH to run ranorex EXE files remotely on Windows box. (FreeSSHD service is used as SSH server).
  • We used PSEXEC -s -i Testname.EXE to run it on current desktop
  • ... problem: because we still have evaluation, we do not know what will happen when screen is locked or when just PSEXEC -i Testname.EXE (interact with desktop) will be executed. Until now we think that tests failed because of evaluation message, but it could be caused by absence of GUI.
Will it work with licensed version? Will PSEXEC (executed via SSH remotely) create virtual desktop for the test? Reading the forum I suspect that this will be not such easy. What if the Ranorex computer is Virtual machine and desktop will be locked?

If nothing will work, we will be forced to de-securized dedicated PC with no screen lock :C(
All comments welcome.

Regards D.

Ciege

Re: Running from command line via SSH - locked desktop problem

Post by Ciege » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Inherent with *ANY* GUI based functional automation utility, the desktop cannot be locked and have successful GUI functional automation testing. Since the desktop is locked, the automation utility cannot interact with the GUI of your AUT, thus everything will fail.

If the machine you are testing on is a VM, you can leave that VM unlocked but lock the host machine desktop. In this way the guest VM will act just like you would expect and automation testing will work. Your security will come from the locked host machine.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

dmusil

Post by dmusil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 am

Thank you, now it is clear. Now we have to manage to invoke test scenario in correct session on virtual desktop. Any hints?

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm

You mention using psexec. There is a switch to select the session ID I believe...

Code: Select all

-i [session]
You could also make sure that you have an open RDP client attached to the VM or something similar to make sure the desktop is open and running...
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...