Security Permissions and Lab Mgmt

Ask general questions here.
crisb

Security Permissions and Lab Mgmt

Post by crisb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi, I'm automating an application using Ranorex 5.3. I'm using a MS Lab Mgmt build-deploy-test workflow that spins up a Virtual Machine, and then kicks off my tests with a MS Test Agent. I'm using TFS 2012 Update 4 and Visual Studio 2013 to build my tests. I'm using CodedUI to kick off my Ranorex tests. I have plenty of these testing workflows all working fine.

My issue is for a new setup. I'm trying to kick off a Ranorex test session on a Window Server R2 virtual machine. The Ranorex test is an installation that runs a setup.exe and then works through a bunch of option screens to run the install. This all works fine. The problem is at the end of the install, the setup.exe shells out and runs a configuration utility. This utility has the require admin rights turned on in its manifest. On my other test virtual machines (all Windows 7 64bit) , I have the UAC turned off, and the config utility launches and Ranorex works fine.

On the Windows Server 2012 R2 machine I also have UAC turned off, but when I run the test it fails with:

The automating process does not have the required security permissions to access the process 'Argus.ConfigurationUtility.UI'. UI element identification capabilities for controls in that process are limited .....

The Test Controller, Test Agent are all running a domain account that is a member of the local administrator's group. The Ranorex Test run is running under the QTAgent32_40.exe which is running under that same user acccount. This is just like all my other virtual machines where it works. I've read your troubleshooting guide and haven't had any luck.

So it seems to me the Ranorex Test run process is bailing because it's not running as an administrator, even though it's running as a local admin account. With no UAC, it should be automatically be granted admin rights. Any suggestions?

- Cris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Re: Security Permissions and Lab Mgmt

Post by krstcs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:17 pm

There is a significant difference between a domain administrator account and a local administrator account on a Windows network. Local admin does not have the same rights as a domain admin even on the local system.

Make sure that the application under test is not running under a domain admin account, otherwise Ranorex may also need a domain admin account. Ranorex should be run at the same or higher level user account as the AUT.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

crisb

Post by crisb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm

The account everything is running under is a domain account, but it is a member of the local administrator group as stated in my original post. I also said that this exact configuration is working on all my Win7 64 bit machines. This is the first time I'm running a Ranorex script on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine. The AUT and the Ranorex Test agent are all running on the same user account and should all have the same permissions.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Yep, sorry, misread it the first time.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

crisb

Post by crisb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 pm

no problem, thanks anyway.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Hello crisb,

One of my colleagues already described the possible reason of the message in the following posts.
Did you already try to update Ranorex to 5.3.1?
Do you also get the same warning when tracking the elements using Ranorex Spy?

Regards,
Bernhard