SharpDevelop

Ask general questions here.
bkruse

SharpDevelop

Post by bkruse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi,
afaik Ranorex is based on SharpDevelop 3.2
Are there plans to upgrade this (current SD is 5.0 and about 4 years newer than 3.2).
Or is this a fixed base, which "cannot be changed"?

Thanks and bests,
Björn

krstcs

Re: SharpDevelop

Post by krstcs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:07 pm

I have asked similar questions and the response has been that they are looking into it, but there is no time frame, if they do it at all.

Having said that though, it would probably be based on 4.4, not 5, since 5 only supports C#. 4.4 is only a year old, and it is very stable (which is a prerequisite). 5 is not really stable yet and hasn't been around that long.

The problem is that Ranorex is a very large project and SD 3.2 is the core, so replacing it would be a very time and cost intensive proposition, and they have to make sure that the base platform is stable so they don't have major issues.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

bkruse

Post by bkruse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Oh, sorry for double-post then (did a quick search, but found nothing in the top 20 or so).
And thanks for the quick and informative answer.

I agree, stability will be the highest expectation.

In concrete, I was looking for some kind of block editing/mode or column editing/mode. Seems like it was introduced after SD 3.2

Thanks and Bests,
Björn

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:31 pm

You wouldn't find it on the forums unless you knew exactly where to look, so no worries. My questions about it have been through email/phone contact for the most part, although I have mentioned it in a few other, related posts.

I'm waiting for the upgrade, whatever version they go to, right along with you. There are things that are not supported in Ranorex because they are in .NET 4.5 or newer and SD 3.2 doesn't support 4.5.

So, when/if they ever do upgrade, it will be welcomed heartily. :D
Shortcuts usually aren't...