suggestion for a 'variable' or 'data feed' mode

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jasong

suggestion for a 'variable' or 'data feed' mode

Post by jasong » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm

For reusability purposes, I am converting many of the data entry portions of the recorded scripts into variables. I am currently importing a config.py file that contains the values although a more modular way would be to feed parameters, values from a database, or a csv or Excel worksheet that has been filled in by our testers and business analysts.

A mode to support using variables for these values would be greatly helpful in reducing redundant manpower in converting recorded scripts.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 am

First of all, thanks for your feedback! We appreciate the ideas you have for the RanorexRecorder.

We discussed this issue and came to the point that it's a quite complex one. We try to consider some mechanism for variable data entries in a future version of the Recorder, but we are not sure, yet, to what extent.

Alex
Ranorex Support Team

AlexKomov

re Variables Declaration

Post by AlexKomov » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

... just read the above and I don't get it, sorry.... looks like people are coming in from their previous experiences with other testing tools, and now trying to understand if Ranorex could do the same...
I have been using HP's[former Mercury's] tools, i.e. QTP...
so my main concern with regards to the Variables declaration:

if I declare Vars in the code[btw, don't you guys call it a Script-?], and then run assuming my "final" Script on my application with many iterations, then
- does your tool re-declare Vars on each iteration, and if it does, is there any impact on the memory that the Tool is using for storing the Variables or not [=common QTP/WR problem for Vars in the script]? ....... in QTP, for example, to avoid the memory problem, I use external .vbs file for variables declaration,, - do you have the same??

2) what about Environmental variables - via the tool interface - is there such an option?

Many Thanks,
-----------------
Cheers,
-AK-

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:00 pm

ad 1) Ranorex code is directly based on the .NET framework, i.e. you are really writing C#, VB, Python ... code that is then compiled using a standard compiler for that language. Ranorex does not have its own scripting/code language, but uses standard programming languages and compilers.
That means the rules for the language you use apply. E.g. in C# if you declare a variable inside a block (marked by {}), the variable is declared whenever the block is entered and its lifetime ends when the block is left (and there should not be a memory problem as .NET has a very good garbage collector).

ad 2) The RanorexRecorder does not support (environment) variables in its GUI for now (see previous posting). You can get the value of environment variables in your code using the .NET Framework class Environment, e.g. the Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable(string) method gets you the current value of a named environment variable.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team