Suggestion/Request for a Library Repository

Ask general questions here.
Ciege

Suggestion/Request for a Library Repository

Post by Ciege » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 pm

I have a suggestion for something that I've used in the past with other test automation packages. I would like a location where the community can store automation libraries or functions that we have created for use by other users.

Since I am using C# in VS2008, I obviously would like to have a C# specific repository to share my functions I have been creating. For instance, I am creating a framework for DOM functionallity as well as basic Windows application GUI functionality (think a function called SelectCheckBox that takes a form and a checkbox name as parameters then searches for the checkbox, verifies its state then checks or unchecks the checkbox, it would then return a value back to the caller about its success or failure).

So a library of reusable code that could be shared among the community would be of great benefit in my mind.

Thanks...

atom

Post by atom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:11 pm

create a dll, and reference it with each test case
this is what we are building - all re-usable automation functions go inside our framework dll, all test case .exe's then use this dll

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes, I understand that. However my suggestion is for a repository that can be shared across the Ranorex community. For example if I create an Excel framework I can store it in an online repository available to the community. If someone in the future needs Excel functionality they can just download that framework and implement in their code without having to reinvent the wheel.
Similarly if someone makes updates or fixes to the functionality in the framework they too can update the community at large.
It's just a way to help younger developers get up to speed quicker with how things are done. And, in turn, helps draw more people into using the Ranorex product since some of the framework work is already completed.

atom

Post by atom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

Ahh yeah good point

Well - if you wana setup a Ranorex Community website, that would be great! We people can post code, that others can download!

We have had to add many helper functions for the Ranorex API to be more usable, and reduce the amount of coding required to develop a test case - as for us developing a test case should be quick, without too much complicated programming.

BTW for Excel we dropped using it - and instead use CSV files. As these are just as easy to write in Excel, but to load them you dont need to know the Excel COM library - you can just load it into a DataTable object.

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Ya, it's nice to have a repository of libraries that other people who are "smart" in their domain of expertise. Sometimes you just need something that someone else has already done that would be too much R&D for you to develop. With a community we can all share our expertise.

I understand you dropping Excel support. But our company uses Excel a lot for storing of test data. I am about 1/4 of the way through writing an Excel library for reading and writing cells, ranges, named ranges etc... Once I am complete with it using Excel in your automation code will be as easy as using the Excel library and using the easy, well document functions.

So, hopefully in the future we can get a repository site setup. Primarily I would like Ranorex to run that site since it will only benefit them and they already have the web space but I suppose if they don't want to I (or someone) can look into building and running a code repository site for the community.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi,

We are currently discussing to start up some sort of community to share commonly used automation libraries especially for testing purposes.

We'll be back with more information regarding this topic within the next few days.

Christoph
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the update!

Ciege

Re: Suggestion/Request for a Library Repository

Post by Ciege » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi guys, have you all come to any resolution about this request?

I have quite a bit of "framework" code that I can share with the community (and actually have shared some with some users privately through email). If you all could maybe create a new forum for posting, sharing, discussing and requesting framework code I would love to post some of my solutions for others to use and improve upon.

Some examples I have (not all inclusive):
A General Ranorex Framework:
  • CheckBoxClick
  • RadioButtonClick
  • PushButtonClick
  • TextBoxClick
  • TextBoxReturnData
  • WaitForWindow
  • WaitForWindowClose
  • etc...
An Excel Framework:
  • OpenExcel
  • OpenExcelWorkbook
  • ExcelReadSingleCell
  • ExcelWriteSingleCell
  • ExcelReadNamedRange
  • ExcelRowInsert
  • etc...
A Networking Framework:
  • VerifyNetworkConnectivity
  • CopyDirectory
A DOM Framework:
  • StartIE
  • DOMClickLink
  • DOMTextBoxClick
  • DOMRadioButtonClick
  • DOMPushButtonClick
  • DOMImageClick
  • DOMComboSelect
  • etc...
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

atom

Post by atom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 am

I have Excel document generation code that doesnt use Excel Com Interop, but XML instead
In our framework we have the following:

- All test cases are classes implementing an ITestCase interface
- Test cases are executed by a TestRunner program which loads an assembly and reflects it for all ITestCase classes
- TestRunner is configured via an XML file to tell it what order to run test classes in, and if there are any Parent/Child relationships between test classes
- Each TestClass saves a result to an Oracle database
- All results from Oracle database are viewed via a PHP webpage

If any of the above sounds good... then let me know!

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Exactly what I am wanting to get Atom! Different solutions that all the people in the Ranorex community (Ranorexites? Ranorexorians?) can use, experiment with, etc...

You seem to have different solutions to some of the same things I needed solutions for and I would love to see how they work and if they could improve upon what I already have. Hopefully we can get something set up in the way of a framework code repository so that I can see what you are willing to share!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

atom

Post by atom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:19 pm

To be honest, it would really improve Ranorex product to have a basic test framework like I described above, shipped with the product. At the moment Ranorex boils down to an API ... from which you have to build a framework, increasing the cost of implementation.

BTW we have also written a distributed test farm architecture...
Where by test assemlies are submitted to a controller machines, which distrubtes them to individual test machines. All machines saving results in the same oracle db.

Im afraid I cant share code, only ideas!

atom

Post by atom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:36 pm

On the same note... Ranorex API would also benefit from more comparison functions.
Alot of automated testing (ours anyway) boils down to:

- Using ranorex api to generate output data from the current build of the AUT
- Using some tools to compare this output data to previous build validated output data

Ranorex doesn't have comparison functions for:

- Text Files
- CSV Files
- XML Files
- Two DataSet objects
- Two SQL Tables

For these we have developed some in-house functions.

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:47 pm

While I do agree with you that there would be benefits for including things like this I have to assume that having the dev team focus on adding things like these features and taking time from adding to the actual API might not be prudent at this time.

Right now we get a great product that is immeasurably extensible for a price that cannot be beat. I for one would give up the inclusion of some of these comparison functions (built-in) from Ranorex to keep this price point and keep the Ranorex team focused on delivering a powerful core solution.

I know your list is not all inclusive, but of the functions you listed, the community can easily add this functionality with shared framework code and "add-on" to the product that Ranorex already delivers. The functions you have listed are not really difficult for anyone in the community who knows what they are doing and are not really reliant on any Ranorex APIs, just regular old coding (I.e. C# with Visual Studio) will get it done. There are solutions galore on the internet for comparing files (txt, XML or otherwise) that can easily be adapted for our use - in fact I have used many of the C#/.NET framework functionality to do that already.

Regardless of my thoughts on this, keep the ideas coming. Let's really try to get this community driven project off the ground. I've seen it work with other automation packages and know the great benefit we all can get from it!

Ciege...

omayer

Post by omayer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:49 am

Where is the library repository located ?
Tipu

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi,

We opened following forum for Automation Modules
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/automation ... s-f22.html

Even our community can share the modules in this forum, but this is on a voluntary basis.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team