Test cases' Reports show up on other Machines

Ask general questions here.
ArtMed

Test cases' Reports show up on other Machines

Post by ArtMed » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 am

Hello Support Team,

So I have an issue that deals with the Report system, whenever I run a test from the test suite, whether it passes or fails, the report opens up not only on my computer (which is fine) but also on another machine that is running the same Ranorex project (our project is linked through TFS).

So to be a bit more clear, I run a test from the test suite, once it finishes, my Ranorex program opens up a report (which is expected) but another computer that is also working on that same Ranorex project also opens up that same Report (which is not expected)

Is there a way to turn this off?

Ciege

Re: Test cases' Reports show up on other Machines

Post by Ciege » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Sounds like you have not limited TFS to not check in/out report files and/or the report directory that your report files go to.
You should tell TFS what files are important (your solution files) to keep in source control and what files are not important (log files, bin folder, etc...).
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

ArtMed

Post by ArtMed » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:45 pm

The thing is that the reports that are created by the test suite are stored in a public shared folder outside of the Ranorex project, where TFS isn't connected to.

I store the reports to that directory by using the Test Suite properties and setting the Report File Directory to point to that public shared folder. Does TFS automatically know to link this folder as well?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 pm

No, but Ranorex constantly looks at that folder to see if there is anything new.

So, every time you run a test and create a new report, all the Ranorex installs that are running will see the new report and open it.

You can do one of two things:

1. Do not use a shared folder directly in the suite's report options and instead just copy them to the share when needed.

or

2. Turn off the "Open report after execution" option. (Tools -> Options -> General -> Ranorex Report Viewer) --You will need to do this on all installs, and then no reports will be automatically opened after the tests run.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ArtMed

Post by ArtMed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Alright I understand, Thank you for the help!

Would be nice if a there was a feature where we could just turn that off instead of having to manually move files to a shared machine. But in any case, this information helps.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Did you read my #2 suggestion? :D

That is turning it off. You just have to turn it off on each Ranorex system.

EDIT: Although, I would suggest that everyone always sharing to the same folder might now be the best way to go anyway. Too many opportunities for over-writing and contention with the files, as well as human issues. But that's just my 2 cents.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ArtMed

Post by ArtMed » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Yes I did read your second suggestion, I probably wasn't clear in what I meant when I said if only there was a feature that turns it off.

Me and the other testers like having the report popup right after we run our own tests (better than having to go find the report in the report folder, if we turned off the Open report after Execution), we just don't like having the reports of other testers show up on our side as well.

And we do need the reports to be in a shared folder for when we go to show the reports on another machine. But its okay, the workaround I did was changed the report directory to a local folder, then just coded a method that copies the report files and image folder into a shared folder after the test is run. It work for the mean time.

Once again thanks for the help.