Text missing from Validation dialog

Ask general questions here.
guptaravi2k

Text missing from Validation dialog

Post by guptaravi2k » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:54 am

Hi,

I am evaluating different tools at the moment and while Ranorex works well with web application it is giving me tough time validating element in a desktop application.

To try something simple I tested with calc.exe.

When I click on validation button it highlights the number in calculator but the Text field or the Window Text field in overview tab is empty.

I tried to view it using Spy tool as well but result is same.

I have attached image from spy tool for your reference.

I am not sure what I am missing. Sounds like the most simple thing but actually appearing very difficult :cry:

CookieMonster
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Text missing from Validation dialog

Post by CookieMonster » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi,

May your XPath to the element is wrong. Could you please try this Ranorex XPath /form[@title='Calculator']/element[@class='CalcFrame']//text[@AccessibleName='Result'] on your spy?
The accessible text element is inside the first container, and it is not the first text element in the CalcFrame element.

Cheers
Dan

guptaravi2k

Post by guptaravi2k » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks Dan. yes you are right. it works as expected after I changed XPath as per your suggestion.
So the calc.exe program works fine.

However, I am still not sure what is wrong in testing with my application. My application is a C++ application.

When I hover mouse on menu item then it highlights the value and reads the text value from there. But when I hover over a list item then it highlights whole row and does not read any value. The text field shows empty.
I expected it to highlight and read the value from column but it highlights whole row and hence can't read text from there.

Below image shows full row highlighted and empty text
1.jpg
Below image correct menu item highlighted and read
2.jpg
Regards,
Ravi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 am

Hi,

Could you please post the Ranorex snapshot from your application? Here is how you can create one...
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... files.html

Anyway, the most probable reason why you are not able to highlight the particular cell and obtain its value is that your application has incorrectly/not implemented accessibility. You will have to ask the developer of your app to implement accessibility for given ListView. Another possibility (but much less reliable one), would be to use GDI capture list...
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... tions.html

Adding listview to the GDI capture list should enable you to extract RAW texts from the individual list items. However, this method is not quite reliable and sometimes very painful to use, especially with complicated elements with too many texts.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

guptaravi2k

Post by guptaravi2k » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks Pavel,

I have captured snapshots and email to support team.

Extracting raw text may not be very helpful because there may be hundreds of text in the view with the possibility of duplicates.

Thanks again for your help.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Hi,

Yes, as mentioned, rawtexts are not very good option in case of too complicated objects with too many texts. Let's hope the support folks will be able to help you better. But my best guess is that the list in question has not implemented accessibility and therefore, there is not much they can do for you.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration