Time out error when adding a device

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
mneiferbag

Time out error when adding a device

Post by mneiferbag » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi, I would like to evaluate Ranorex Studio 5.4.4.26486 but I have problems with the initial setup.

I followed the steps in the User Guide / Android Testing documentation. I see my device (Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE connected over USB) but the next step times out. It says
Final preparations are performed. This can take a few moments. Please wait.
I get a time out error. I already tried to increase the deploy timeout in the settings.

I run Ranorex Studio on Windows 10 Enterprise in a virtual machine. Maybe this is not supported?

Any ideas what I could try to add my device?

Thanks in advance.

Markus

mneiferbag

Re: Time out error when adding a device

Post by mneiferbag » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:24 pm

I just installed Ranorex Studio on my physical machine (Windows 7 Enterprise). Still it does not recognize my device.

zivshapirawork

Post by zivshapirawork » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:21 am

You may have not installed the device drivers, or not opened the studio as administrator.

ziv

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Markus,

May I ask you if you have enabled the USB debugging on your device and if you have installed the ADB driver?
USB Debugging can be enabled in the Developer Options directly on your device.

Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Regards,
Markus (S)

mneiferbag

Post by mneiferbag » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:00 pm

I have installed the "SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones" Version 1.5.4.0 and have enabled "Stay awake" and "USB Debugging" in the device developer options.

I tried another VM (Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1 32-bit) but still it does not work. The device is not recognized.

Now I have installed Ranorex Studio and the USB driver on my local machine and there it works. The device is recognized and I can record something. I would have preferred to have this is a VM, though.

I think we can close this thread now.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Markus,

Thank you for the update. May I ask you if you are also facing issues when you are trying to connect the device via WiFi? Since it is working on your physical machine, I assume that the problem is more likely related to the virtual machine. Unfortunately I'm not sure how the USB connection is set-up, but I'd also suggest checking the USB settings on your virtual machine.

Regards,
Markus (S)