MS Edge elements not recognized

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
TimoL

MS Edge elements not recognized

Post by TimoL » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm running the test in different browsers. Couple of days ago the MS Edge elements were not found anymore. Neither Spy recognizes any element in Edge. Ranorex's Chrome add-on version 1.2.9 has been installed and the whitelist is empty. Ranorex Studio version is 9.3 and Edge version is 86.0.622.48. Chrome, Firefox and IE test works fine still. What could be the reason?

Stub

Re: MS Edge elements not recognized

Post by Stub » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Does RxSpy show a DOM and a Form, or just the Form?

I find Chrome/EdgeChromium are such an enormous PITA because the instrumentation that Rx requires is affected by the phase of the moon and whether it's raining or not. At least that's been my experience. I just resort to using Firefox, TBH, since I don't know what the fix to the randomness is.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to uninstall the chrome plugin from Edge? Also, make sure that both Chrome and Edge is not running in background! Just go to browser's settings and search for "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome/Edge is closed" and uncheck it. Then make sure that Chrome is really closed while Edge is running (and vice versa).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Spy shows just the form.

Chrome and Edge are not running on background. I uninstalled and re-installed the plugin for Edge (and rebooted the machine), but it didn't help.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi,

I noticed this in your initial post:

Code: Select all

...whitelist is empty.
Actually, add msedge process to the Win32 white list (both in Spy settings and Studio settings).
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 am

odklizec wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm
Actually, add msedge process to the Win32 white list (both in Spy settings and Studio settings).
I did it, but it didn't help. As this worked last week and nothing changed, it seems that phase of the moon is wrong this week, as Stub said...

Stub

Post by Stub » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:49 am

RxSpy just showing the Form is the classic sign of the instrumentation not working. It'll only work if both the Form and the Dom show up. I occasionally start Edge/Chrome + RxSpy just to see how the roll of the dice worked today.

We also make sure that we're logged in to a Chrome account to ensure the Rx plugin is activated and toggled ON in the Extension Settings panel. This was utterly crucial in even getting it to work just some of the time. It still flops around depending on the weather outside though.

I find it sooooo frustrating. In fact I just gave up and used Firefox because I could not be bothered to fight it any further. Not helpful, I know, but I've wasted sooooooo much time on this issue already.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 am

Hi,

Well, I agree that Chrome(Edge) plugin is somewhat delicate as to when it works. But most of the time it works for me? The truth is that I'm not using Chrome for anything else than just for running tests. What helped me, in case the Chrome plugin eventually failed to recognize DOM element, was uninstalling plugin both from Chrome and Edge, using Ranorex instrumentation wizard and then install it back. I believe that the corruption of Ranorex plugin integration has been caused by Chrome update process? But I agree that Ranorex folks should take a closer look at Chrome/Edge plugin.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration