Access to the path 'Thumbs.db' is denied

Ask general questions here.
MJesper

Post by MJesper » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Opening compressed ranorex reports generates a Thumbs.db in %temp%. Opening it twice will give me this error:

Code: Select all

This only occurs when I use a custom Report Template

RobinHood42

Re: Access to the path 'Thumbs.db' is denied

Post by RobinHood42 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am

If it only occurs with your custom report, the reason might be your customization's.

:mrgreen:
Cheers

MJesper

Post by MJesper » Fri May 17, 2019 3:38 pm

RobinHood42 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am
If it only occurs with your custom report, the reason might be your customization's.

:mrgreen:
Cheers
I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.. Just made some modifications to the XSL and modified the PNG image. It works if the report isn't compressed.

RobinHood42

Post by RobinHood42 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:37 pm

You wrote in your first post that it only happens when opening the compressed report twice and it doesn't seem to happen with the standard report.
What exactly is the Thumbs.db file. It is not generated by Ranorex, at least not in my reports.
Probably the file is already in use by another process when opening the report the second time.

Cheers,
Robin

MJesper

Post by MJesper » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm

RobinHood42 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:37 pm
You wrote in your first post that it only happens when opening the compressed report twice and it doesn't seem to happen with the standard report.
What exactly is the Thumbs.db file. It is not generated by Ranorex, at least not in my reports.
Probably the file is already in use by another process when opening the report the second time.

Cheers,
Robin
Afaik the thumbs.db file is a windows generated file which caches images in order to view them faster. Whenever a Ranorex Compressed Report is opened this file gets generated but doesn't get deleted, which makes it stuck in the %temp% folder. I suspect windows is caching the custom PNG file. I'm able to delete it manually, even while the rxlog is opened, but Ranorex can't seem to "override" it. (I have to delete it each time I've opened a compressed report)

RobinHood42

Post by RobinHood42 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am

You can try to disable caching for Thumbs.db files.
https://youtu.be/0_WJzCFCgX4

Cheers,
Robin

MJesper

Post by MJesper » Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 am

This seems like a good short-term solution but forcing all team members to do the same will just create a mess

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello MJesper,

This doesn't seem to be an issue that is caused by Ranorex and unfortunately, I cannot reproduce it also when using a customized report. I would highly recommend checking your customizations or using the standard report. Unfortunately, we can only provide support for standard reports.
But if you upload your template the chance is higher that someone from the community can help you solving the issue.

Sincerely,
Bernhard